Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

maternity pay for sales people who earn commision on a monthly basis

(6 Posts)
pud1 Wed 29-Aug-07 13:22:16

I have read that the first 6 weeks maternity leave is worked out at 90% of your average earnings. Does this include any commissions? I am in sales and about t40% of my wage is commission every month. i will aslo be leaving at the begining of the year so can i take my holidays before my mat leave starts.

LIZS Wed 29-Aug-07 13:25:35

I would think it should incldue your commission in the claculation, if it paid via your wage slip. Mine included an annual bonus which meant my 90% was actually more than my normal weekly ! Not sure about holiday , I think so but may not be all rather the 9 months OML 's worth.

pud1 Wed 29-Aug-07 13:27:40

thanks lizs.

my employer is a bit tight and only runs a small company. i am the first to take mat leave so i feel that i need to guide him rather than other way around

LIZS Wed 29-Aug-07 13:36:56

This should help re holiday and this suggests Earnings includes :-

"Payments which are earnings for Class 1 National Insurance contributions. (Your employee does not have to have paid NICs.)
All earnings paid in the period, including money earned outside the period, such as holiday pay, overtime, bonuses and any lump sum paid for arrears of pay.
Statutory Sick Pay.
Statutory Maternity Pay.
Statutory Paternity Pay.
Statutory Adoption Pay. "

RibenaBerry Wed 29-Aug-07 20:56:18

You work it out as average earnings over a reference period, including any bonuses and commissions paid during that reference period. Can't for the life of me remember the period you use though. Have to dash now, but will try and look it up soon (or DTI website might explain it).

As Liz says, it does include commission.

You can take your holiday at the start of the year. E.g. one woman at my work took the whole of Jan has holiday and maternity leave from Feb

flowerybeanbag Wed 29-Aug-07 21:14:00

It's the 8 weeks period up to and including 15th week before expected week of childbirth.
If your boss is a bit at sea with it all, the business link website here is handy for small businesses who need guidance on this type of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now