Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

thinking of setting up my own website. Any advice?

(3 Posts)
micegg Wed 29-Aug-07 12:50:55

I am pregnant with baby number 2 (due in Spring) and am seriously thinking of starting my own business selling via a website. I am not exaclty sure what I am going to sell yet but was thinking of something in maternity wear, babycare or toys. Have any of you done something similar and what is your advice?

I have given this alot of thought. I have been unhappy at work for a long time and once baby 2 comes along I won't be able to afford the childcare. We can live off DH money for at least a year so I know I have a certain amount of time I can set up in.

I know I will lose benefits such as holiday, etc but feel this may fit in better with family life over the long term. Am I completely idding myself?wink

zippitippitoes Wed 29-Aug-07 12:55:08

I've had one for 4 years or so..doesn't really make money there is a lot of competition

I have sales of between 20 and 40 k lots of peaks and troughs..earlier in the year had a really bad trough but has picked upagain since

nappyneeds Fri 31-Aug-07 21:56:25

I set up business this year and resigned from my job after taking all my unpaid maternity leave. I have two children and couldnt face going back to work and was determined to be with my children this time around. It takes a lot of hard work and since I have children I 'go to work' in the evening as soon as they go to bed which is hard cause thats when im ready to collapse form a hard day being mum. You can start with a small amount of money and build up but imo you'd be much better off with a large sum of money to invest. many companies have minimum orders quantities, bulk discounts and there is stiff competition so the bigger and better your range etc the better off you are i feel. It is however totally worth it though and with seriously good organisation it can work well. I am a computer engineer and a mediocre website designer (in my old job) so if you want any help with anything/pointing in right direction etc drop me a line smile.

Have you thought about being a childminder or are you set on retail? If you decide to go for it start planning now - the sooner the better. Sometimes you just have to go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now