Talk

Advanced search

If I conceive while serving notice on one job to go directly to another...

(3 Posts)
Monkeybar Tue 28-Aug-07 15:34:15

...do I have to tell my new employer before my contracted start date?
I know that I won't be entitled to SMP, as if I understand correctly, you must have worked for your employer for 26 weeks by 15 weeks from EWC (which actually works out that as long as you aren't already pregnant when you actually start your job, you are pretty much okay on the SMP front). I have a good salary at the mo and will be earning more than the threshold £30 pw in my new PT job, does that mean that I will be okay to get maternity allowance?
All the above is speculation, btw, I am between jobs, but still waiting for that BFP, as have been ttc since Jan and don't really wnat to miss a couple of months if I can avoid it!! smile

flowerybeanbag Tue 28-Aug-07 15:37:42

you are right about smp, and no you don't need to tell your employer until 15th week before you are due. You will be fine for mat allowance if you are pg before starting a new job as well.
good luck with ttc and job!

Monkeybar Tue 28-Aug-07 15:47:03

Thanks flowerybeanbag! Actually it's dc2 we're trying for - the reason for changing to a PT job is my lovely 2 year old ds, who is growing up far too quickly!
But if friends' 2nd pregnancies are anything to go by, I will have no chance of concealing a preg for 25 weeks!!grin(Here's hoping and wishing that September brings me the news that I'm after)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now