Talk

Advanced search

May fail my probation due to pregnancy

(13 Posts)
Tils1066 Tue 31-Dec-19 06:22:25

Hi, I’m just looking for some advice. I have been on a probation period whereby you should have 3 meetings over 9 months. The first meeting I never had as it wasn’t felt necessary. I then suffered an illness and had 2 weeks of work in July I then made a mistake a work but admitted it and heard no further details on action taken.
In October I had my second meeting, ticked all the boxes to say I was on track to meet my targets. In November I announced my pregnancy and since then I have had to have ongoing tests initiated to see if I have a condition that could affect my performance. It came back negative as I knew I did not have this condition. I feel that they want to fail me on my probation and am using this “condition” as a way to do it as they can’t use my pregnancy. I feel I have been singled out amongst the team and my team have actually no problems with my work. I’m just wondering what my options are. I used to love my job and now I dread going back. I want to apply for a new one but it’s unlikely I could start it before my maternity leave. I also don’t think my probation extension will cover me to the 26th week of pregnancy. I don’t want their maternity pay but I do want statuary pay. I have worked since the age of 21 and have wanted a baby for 11 years. This all very unfair as this should be a happy time and instead I am worrying about work. I now have trouble sleeping and anxiety about my work performance. Please can anyone advise? Sorry it’s long.

OP’s posts: |
SoloMummy Tue 31-Dec-19 06:50:36

Have work initiated these tests? What tests and for what condition? Generally, occupational health should run assessments usually before appointment or in the early days. Was this assessment by oh?

Pinkbonbon Tue 31-Dec-19 06:55:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MimiCaeger Tue 31-Dec-19 07:05:56

Pinkbonbon that’s a bit excessive, people get sick, people make mistakes and people of childbearing age get pregnant

I would say she’s ripped the piss

Tils1066 Tue 31-Dec-19 07:10:15

Thank you for your reply solo mummy. The tests were for dyslexia which I do not have. They were initiated by management following my pregnancy announcement.

And to the other poster, the two weeks of ill were because of an emergency operation in which I would have died and it was also taken as annual leave as I was meant to be on holiday not because I couldn’t be bothered to go.
This was a looking for advice post, please tell me where your advice is? Otherwise go about your day.

OP’s posts: |
butterflywings37 Tue 31-Dec-19 07:53:50

You can't be let go for being dyslexic as it is a recognised disability -- although I'm surprised someone is ' making' you you get tested for dyslexia at your place if work.

If you've not met the conditions of your probation they can let you go with no other reasoning.

TrueCrimeFan Tue 31-Dec-19 07:54:35

Is your employer linking the mistake made to dyslexia? What has initiated this?

TrueCrimeFan Tue 31-Dec-19 07:56:57

I have either with numerous people where they were unaware they had dyslexia until identified by our employer. For all of them it was missed in school & earlier life so the diagnosis was helpful & allowed our employer to make adjustments

Marshy86 Tue 31-Dec-19 08:42:58

Hi OP,

There is a website called pregnant and screwed, they offer free advice relating to employers and your pregnancy rights. I've had quite a lot of problems during my current pregnancy with regards to pregnancy discrimination but now turning a corner after getting the advice I needed. They can take a few weeks to set the call with legal side but I would definitely recommend. The only time they charge is if you have a case that you want to take to court and they act on your behalf. Good luck x

PlomBear Tue 31-Dec-19 11:49:46

Pinkbonbon is full of empathy aren’t they! hmm

cabbageking Wed 01-Jan-20 18:44:32

It is not unusual for employers to test for dyslexia or asperger's etc.
They wouldn't do this if the intention was to get rid of you.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Wed 01-Jan-20 19:06:52

Its easier for your employer to get rid of you if you DONT have dyslexia. Once you have it, you have the right not to be discriminated against and they have to consider reasonable adjustments.

If you're pregnant and have a disability they'd be taking a massive risk in dismissing you. Not impossible, but not a decision they'll take lightly. They'd need to have to show neither was a factor in the decision to dismiss if it went to claim.

SoloMummy Thu 02-Jan-20 16:04:47

Many employers will offer screening if they have the capabilities to do so - especially if within the education field.

Unfortunately, within your probation period they can pretty much let go of you for anything! Though the reasoning may be due to not wishing to pay for SSP and find a replacement with all of the associated costs etc.

However, if they have set you targets, you would have to be shown to be not meeting these specifically. Have they done this?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in