Talk

Advanced search

Any police officers? Q about applying and previous minor drug use

(12 Posts)
Randomusername99 Wed 18-Dec-19 19:28:59

Not sure if this is the right place for this but will try here anyway. Hoping someone can advise.

A friend wants to join the police as a career change. But they smoked cannabis maybe 3/4 times roughly 20 years ago. Never bought it, no convictions or arrests, never used anything else before or since, never even contemplated it. Doesnt smoke, only has a very occasional drink and works out/runs a lot.

But, they are aware that there is a question about ANY prior drug use on the medical vetting questionnaire. They want to be honest, integrity is really important to them.

Does anyone know if this will mean they will fail the vetting process?

OP’s posts: |
DoTheHop Wed 18-Dec-19 19:32:00

Well their IQ certainly fits the bill if they want to fill in every transgression they've ever committed on a Police Application form....

Randomusername99 Wed 18-Dec-19 19:40:57

Telling the truth is pretty important for vetting though, isn’t it? IDK.

OP’s posts: |
DoTheHop Wed 18-Dec-19 20:03:09

No idea.

Glitterandunicorns Wed 18-Dec-19 20:18:07

Hi OP. I'm not an officer but knowledgeable about the process.
If the question asks about any prior use, it's vital that the person answers honestly. Police forces (and similar agencies) understand that people make mistakes, particularly when young. The issue of integrity is a far bigger one that a bit of weed in the past.

If your friend lies and is found to have lied, this may cause them to fail their security clearance and therefore not be eligible to apply for the job/ have any job offer rescinded.

In a worst case scenario, they may ask your friend to agree to a drugs test, but this isn't always the case, and as long as your friend hasn't used more recently, they'd be fine. HTH.

hannah1992 Wed 18-Dec-19 20:37:30

In all honesty. If it was 3/4 times 20 years ago how the hell are they going to find out if your friend said theres no prior drug use?

Glitterandunicorns Wed 18-Dec-19 20:42:23

It depends to what level your friend is being security cleared. In some cases, they may interview friends or family to corroborate what the applicant has told them.

Given the police (or any law enforcement agency) won't care about smoking weed a few times in years gone by, I don't know why you'd risk things by lying about it tbh.

EBearhug Wed 18-Dec-19 23:19:58

My GP put "never" when I said I had smoked about 20 cigarettes in my life, so I would think 3 or 4 spliffs 20 years ago would be similar.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Fri 17-Jan-20 22:39:06

I'd leave it off. No way could they find out from so long ago!

underneaththeash Sat 18-Jan-20 09:12:21

I think the fact they are even debating whether to mention it means that they are naturally truthful and honest.

I would miss it off.

Clymene Sat 18-Jan-20 09:16:15

I know a police officer who used to smoke weed in his youth. I don't know if he declared it but it's not been a barrier to his career

Oblomov20 Sat 18-Jan-20 17:18:49

What? Seriously? I took question their intellect.

Of course they should put 'never'. There is no evidence. There is no drug test for whether you've taken something 20 odd years ago. hmm

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in