Talk

Advanced search

Worried about being dismissed

(8 Posts)
Worriedteacher1 Thu 21-Nov-19 08:27:51

I’m being put through the disciplinary process at work. It’s all a storm in a tea cup and my union is very supportive and the rep is surprised it’s been taken this far. However, I know in the business world, you can be dismissed before 2 years without much effort. Is the same true of teaching? I’ve tried googling but without much success. I am just under the 2 year mark as started Jan 2018. I will speak to my rep but can’t do that until tomorrow.

OP’s posts: |
flowery Thu 21-Nov-19 13:31:46

Even if you haven't got continuous service from a previous teaching job, which you may do, they haven't got long enough to give you notice and dismiss you before January, as I imagine you are on half a term's notice. So don't worry smile

kjhkj Thu 21-Nov-19 13:32:34

although if its gross misconduct that notice won't be necessary

Worriedteacher1 Thu 21-Nov-19 13:45:00

Thanks flowery - I was assuming dismissal would be immediate though, and without any notice. I can’t imagine they can claim gross misconduct. I hope not anyway.

OP’s posts: |
flowery Thu 21-Nov-19 14:14:48

Unless it's gross misconduct (you'd know if it might be), then they'd have to give you notice, otherwise it would be wrongful dismissal and breach of contract.

kjhkj Thu 21-Nov-19 14:53:20

Or they could pay you in lieu of notice and terminate before the two years.

Doyoumind Thu 21-Nov-19 15:01:29

Payment in lieu of notice just means you don't work your notice but still get paid. It doesn't mean they can scrap the notice period kj and change your end date to make it less than 2 years' service.

kjhkj Thu 21-Nov-19 15:04:25

Erm, I think you'll find it means they can terminate immediately, pay you instead of letting you serve out your notice and don't add on any notice period for the purposes of assessing whether you have two years service. I'm a solicitor. This is my bread and butter.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in