Talk

Advanced search

UK contractor working in Dublin Mon-Fri -- need advice from accountat. Can anyone recoomend one?

(7 Posts)
eleusis Sun 19-Aug-07 13:19:34

Can anyone recommend an accountant for us. As you know from previous threads last week, DH has been offered a contract job for what appears to be a fair amount more money that what he earns in current salary position. But, we don't fully understand the tax implications and I think need advice from a registered accountant farmiliar with a UK citixen working M-F regularly in Ireland.

Some of our questions:

Sole trader vs ltd ocmpany? Contract is unlikely to fork out daiy rate plus vat so I think ltd is probably not the way to go.

What is tax deductable (flight, ret/hotels, meals, mobile phone charges?)

I think taxes are due every quarter. Is this right?

Is there any chance of the Irish governement saying that someone who lives/works there mon-fri is actually resident in Ireland and therefore owes Irish taxes? Would he need to be under a ltd company to prevent this? And would being under a ltd company even actually prevent it?

Words of wisdom from IT Contractors and accountants, please!!!!!

Thanks

eleusis Sun 19-Aug-07 13:22:38

Oh, excuse my horrid typing please...

Corrections:

As you may know from previous threads last week...

What is tax deductable (flight, apt/hotels, meal, mobile...

SueW Sun 19-Aug-07 13:26:57

Has he looked into joining PCG?

My DH has worked under similar circumstances but his situation may be different to your DH's as he is a Kiwi who has no Brit citizenship. And some contracts he has worked under have required him to work under an umbrella/management company and some to work as an employee of the country and has to pay tax & NI equivalent in that ocuntry. All very complicated - I hate the whole thing and have as little to do with it as possible.

SueW Sun 19-Aug-07 13:28:03

Also if he earns over whatever the limit is now he will have to register for VAT if he is trading as a business.

SueW Sun 19-Aug-07 13:28:50

Sorry just read it back and can see it doesn't make a lot of sense. Hence need for accountant.

eleusis Sun 19-Aug-07 15:21:44

anyone else?

SueW Sun 19-Aug-07 16:33:03

Neil Graham from BKH was our first accountant but DH moved. Nothing wrong with Neil Graham, just going in with someone he met through work.

NG is now big in PCG and deals with IT contractors so pretty much an expert in this area, I would say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now