Talk

Advanced search

Sick note date

(7 Posts)
Loti92 Mon 11-Nov-19 16:51:25

Currently off work due to pregnancy related illness.

My work and my GP are arguing with me over wether my sick note covered the 30th October...

So I had a sick note from 18 September for 2 weeks and the doctor wrote from 18/09- 2/10 (wed-wed)

Then on the 2nd October I got a 4 week sicknote that didn’t include the specific dates.
My work believe the 4 weeks finished in the 29th (Tuesday) and my GP believe the note finishes on the 30th (Wednesday)
Therefore my GP has done my next note from the 31st for 4 weeks as they believe the previous note included the 30th.

My question is, is the 30th October covered or do I need to continue to insist the GP needs to change the date for me?

Feeling stressed out!

OP’s posts: |
blindmansbluff Mon 11-Nov-19 16:53:53

I've just counted in my fingers grin and I think the GP is right. The 4 week note started on the 3rd and the last day is the 30th.

EggysMom Mon 11-Nov-19 16:54:37

Personally I would say that the 4wk Fit Note runs Wednesday to Tuesday, and that 30th wasn't covered. But as you have then have a Fit Note starting on 31st, I would say that your employer is being unncessarily awkward and pedantic in insisting the Fit Note be adjusted for that date.

Does your note from 31st say 4 weeks or give an actual range? Else you could hit the same problems at the end of that period ...

EggysMom Mon 11-Nov-19 16:58:44

Ignore me, I didn't look at a calendar!

Loti92 Mon 11-Nov-19 17:01:17

@blindmansbluff I got the sick note on the 2nd does that not mean it starts on the 2nd? (Even though the previous one did include the 2nd)

@EggysMom that makes sense to me as a week is 7 days and wouldn’t include 2 Wednesdays however when the dr did the 2 week one he did it to include 3 Wednesdays. Also my current note does just say 4 weeks from 31st so dreading anymore confusion!

OP’s posts: |
blindmansbluff Mon 11-Nov-19 17:08:20

I would have said that as the 2nd was included on the previous note, the 4 weeks started the day after the previous one ran out. If the 4 weeks was the first note it would have started that day but afaik they can't overlap.

Farfromtheusual Mon 11-Nov-19 17:14:19

I recently did a lot of googling to find this out as I'm in the same boat re being off with pregnancy related issues and the consensus was that the end date is included. So 4 weeks would be until 30th. However, how come your doctor didn't do the start date from the 3rd if the last one ran out on 2nd? But they dated the new one from 31st after the last one ran out on 30th?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in