Redundancy - feel so low about it.

(23 Posts)
Crispsarnie Wed 06-Nov-19 17:11:34

Hello, I'mm brand new to Mumsnet - I always have a look at topics but have never joined. Please be kind. I'm facing redundancy after over 21 years with the same employer. Due to my length of service I have to work out my notice of 12 weeks and although I have been made redundant, only two in the team have been. The other person has a shorter notice period so I am sitting with the successful candidates during this time. I'm so upset each day I have to go to work. I am trying to hold my head high and just get on with my work but it is hard. Please any words of advice?

OP’s posts: |
Chewbecca Wed 06-Nov-19 17:15:32

Is gardening leave not an option for you?
What are you doing whilst there? Make sure you use this time well, get your CV to a fabulous level, update LinkedIn and make connections, undertake some training, look for jobs, do interview practice etc.
Make a plan of what you want to achieve and go for it.

Crispsarnie Wed 06-Nov-19 17:19:51

Hello, thank you Chewbecca - you are my first reply! Alas they've refused gardening leave. I'm doing my usual/normal job at the moment. I have to stay to the of notice period to receive my redundancy and as I've worked there a long time I do not want to miss out on this payment. I've never had a Linkedin account so will look into that. It feels a bit too early to look for other jobs due to the notice, but I am looking in my non-work hours. I forgot to mention I am part-time so have time out of work to look.

chocolatespiders Wed 06-Nov-19 17:23:00

Sorry to hear this after all that time it must be really tough.
Chewbecca advice is good regarding updating CV etc and seeing what options are out there for you.
All the best

Oblomov19 Wed 06-Nov-19 17:25:45

Poor you. I am facing similar.

Are you sure you shouldn't be starting searching now?
By the time you get your CV actually on a few websites and agencies and apply for a few jobs: it takes quite a while to organise interviews and then be offered a job and then a start date - always takes longer than you think remember?

AlexaShutUp Wed 06-Nov-19 17:27:43

Hi OP, I'm so sorry that you're in this situation. flowers Redundancy is crap - I should know, as I'm also in my three-month notice period after having been made redundant.

Don't know what you do, but can you use some of your work time to focus on job hunting/applications? My employers are quite happy for me to do this.

Do you have supportive colleagues? I have found that good people and a sense of humour have been a lifeline. Sometimes, you have to broach the subject first before people will talk to you about it though - I have found that it's a bit like a bereavement and people often say nothing because they don't know what to say.

Try not to take it personally, if you can. I think it probably always feels a bit personal tbh, but objectively speaking, it might not be. If you have been there for 21 years, you must have been pretty good at what you do for them to keep you there for so long.

Does your firm have an employee assistance programme of any kind? Mine offers counselling and a session with a careers adviser. Haven't used them so far, but might be worth a try.

For me, it's helping to try and see this as an opportunity to take a step back and think about what I really want to do with my life. Sometimes I panic about where the money is going to come from (main breadwinner), but when I trust that it will all work out somehow, I feel much better.

There is still time. You have a three month notice period, and presumably a redundancy package after that, which should keep you going for a while. Try to see it as an adventure if you can.

As for getting through work, I think you have to just detach emotionally and go through the motions. It's hard to stay motivated but you probably need a good reference so you have to make an effort. As with any loss, you'll probably go through the whole grief curve - I definitely did but think I'm in acceptance mode now.

Ultimately, neither of us can change the shitty fact that we have both been made redundant, but we can choose our response to it. Choose to be positive and try to make it work for you, not against you.

Good luck!

Chewbecca Wed 06-Nov-19 17:28:25

Agree, start looking and applying now. In my workplace it takes at least 3 months from start to finish.
Even if you are PT, I would still use office time to do all this stuff - your job is redundant.

LIZS Wed 06-Nov-19 17:28:41

You could request outplacement support - to draft and review cv, make applications , moral support, courses to update skills such as IT.

AlexaShutUp Wed 06-Nov-19 17:30:43

Agree with Oblomov, it definitely isn't too early to be looking.

Curtainly Wed 06-Nov-19 17:32:54

So sorry to hear this OP, what a horrible situation for you flowers as you say though, definitely worth working the 12 weeks to get the redundancy pay. I agree with others that the recruitment process can take months now some places, and to start looking now. I hope you find something.

theboxfamilytree Wed 06-Nov-19 17:35:52

Start searching now, employers expect people to have to work notice. I think you will regret putting it off - and once you start making progress with the job hunt or have secured a new post it will feel less upsetting to work your notice.

I was really upset when I was made redundant. Acas were really helpful. I think your employer has to make sure you can attend interviews for new jobs so check the position with Acas (I'm a bit rusty now ).

It does feel like a punch in the gut but you will come through this.

AlexaShutUp Wed 06-Nov-19 17:38:04

The other thing to add, OP, is that lots of people have told me that redundancy was the best thing that ever happened to them. Now I accept that they might just be trying to make me feel better, but I'm happy to try and prove a point! grin

Tbhf Wed 06-Nov-19 17:48:39

Having to deal with redundancy is never easy at any point in your life/career, but it will be better.

Check your own policies, but legally you can use some of your work time to look for other jobs and attend interviews PAID. Have a read about redundancy on he gov.uk website, lots of helpful things on there. Make sure you don't wait for last minute to apply for jobs, the sooner the better.

Have not said about paying you in lieu of notice? That is normally an opportunity you are given, have a word with them. If they are making your role redundant (unless there is need for a handover) there effectively saying they don't need you and therefore they are going against why they are making you redundant (nothing illegal, just doesn't make sense)

I can only imagine how upsetting it is for you, but it may be a blessing in disguise for you

Crispsarnie Wed 06-Nov-19 18:35:57

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice. I should have joined years ago but AIBU put me off a bit! Ok I need to dust myself down and give myself a bit of a talking to and start applying for jobs. My employer does offer out-placement support which I have signed up to. It's all very early days so they haven't been in contact yet. My colleagues are a mixture of supportive and I think embarassed for me. It was quite a shock that I wasn't selected (for me anyway) but selection was on interview - no performance, attendance etc was taken into account. I do feel like I've been concentrating on doing a good job rather than being able to talk a good job (if you get what I mean?) I'm also the only part-timer so feel a little cynical too.

RockNRollNerd Thu 07-Nov-19 12:13:35

Take advantage of the outplacement as much as you can. I threw myself into that and it was excellent. It helped my thought processes and I ended up making career decisions I would never have imagined which have worked out really well for me.

In terms of job hunting assuming you have a good package don’t feel under pressure to find and accept the first job you get offered. You have the time to reflect and make the next job the right career move if you want. This may be sector/industry specific but certainly for me it is very normal for people to have a few months gap in their CV between roles following redundancy.

EBearhug Fri 08-Nov-19 02:00:09

Definitely start looking. It's not that unusual to have 12 weeks notice in some fields, and if you start thinking about it now, you can see if there are any skills you need to brush up on for the current job market. Also, recruitment will slow down as we approach Christmas, and then ramp up in January as people act on "must get a new job" resolutions, so you should position yourself to be really ready for that.

Chottie Fri 08-Nov-19 02:07:02

Do you have any holiday / TOIL you could take at the end of your leave period so you don't have to work the full 12 weeks?

Palavah Fri 08-Nov-19 02:43:26

12 weeks definitely isn't too early especially if you don't have an up-to-date CV.

Look at it this way - for 12 weeks you are being paid and around doing a job you already know backwards you have access to IT facilities and people who know you well in a work context to support with
CV
Interview prep (examples etc)
Interview practice

If not already given I'd get detailed constructive feedback on your unsuccessful interview. It might be hard to hear but you're probably just out of practice and it's as well to learn and practice now rather then after you've finished working.

It's always easier to look for a job when you already have one, even with the nice little payout cushion you should be getting.

Chase up the outplacement service - you'll want a decent run at it.
In the meantime have a go at your CV.

Also - remember when you look at job ads /LinkedIn that this is people pitching for the best possible version of themselves/the perfect candidate. Men apply for jobs they can do 50% of. Women don't apply if they can't do near 100%.

Good luck

Chubbyorcuddly Fri 08-Nov-19 08:17:28

Your notice period is like any other time.... therefore you have the option to go sick.... self certify for the first 7 days and fit nite for the rest. May not be good practice but if you feel upset and stressed worth considering x

AlexaShutUp Fri 08-Nov-19 08:25:22

Personally, I wouldn't advise going off sick during your notice period if you can help it. It doesn't look great when you're trying to get another job.

ittooshallpass Fri 08-Nov-19 08:31:33

Sorry to hear you’ve been made redundant. It can be very upsetting, and I know it’s easy to say but try not to take it personally. This is business.

Get your CV done ASAP - 2 x A4 absolute maximum length. Get an HR professional to look at it for you so you pitch it right.

Get online. Sign up for job alerts on sites such as LinkedIn, Indeed, CV Library, etc. Look on local FB job pages... If you haven’t looked for a job in over 20 years you’ll see it has completely changed. Most people look for and apply via their smartphone, which is great, but it does mean the jobs are fast moving, so it’s definitely not too early to start. The market will slow down drastically in the lead up to Christmas. It then ramps right up in January. If you’ve got 12 weeks notice, this should work out perfectly for you.

Good luck!

BrokenWing Fri 08-Nov-19 09:40:56

I've been through the redundancy roller coaster after working for the same company for 24 years. It was my first job at 19 years old and in my mid forties had no idea what job hunting would involve.

You have lots to do/prepare. 3 months notice is no time at all. Each time you find a job to apply for, apply for it, wait for closing date, get an interview, potentially a 2nd interview then wait for an answer/offer back several weeks will pass.

Get your CV up to date, update linked-in (don't expect to be headhunted, jobs you apply for will check your social media presence), check and tighten your facebook settings so only friends can view, research competency based interview questions and start writing up and practicing answers (look up STAR technique).

Start finding out where you can look for jobs, research local-ish companies in your area that you would want to be employed by (there are registers somewhere, might have been a national library site I used, where you can search for companies in your area - many you wont even have heard of) and find out if they have a careers website you can register with so you can apply for jobs directly rather than through a recruitment agency which costs them. Think about how you would write speculative and specific applications.

Start applying for and going to interviews now. Even if you cant take up the role the interview experience will be invaluable. When I was made redundant it took a good 6 interviews before I stopped being a complete nervous wreck at interviews as I started to understand the process more. I missed out on a few jobs I would have been perfect for by totally fluffing the interview.

I had a 3 month notice period too, but was told about the redundancy 6 months prior to leaving as they needed me to manage my exit, train up those staying to be able to do parts of my role (it was a mass redundancy and they tore out layers of experience/massive cost cutting). It was sole destroying especially towards the end, but I had to stay for the money and additional 3 month retention bonus, when I had no actual role to do but had to stay to be available for any questions/issues and I spent that time preparing.

In the end I was lucky, from my research I found the most attractive companies to work for in my area were either FMCG or life sciences which I had no experience in. 6 weeks after leaving my job I took a 6 mth fixed term contract to back fill someone in a much much lower paid role. At interview when they asked why I was applying I told them, how I had a passion 🤦‍♀️ to work in FMCG and why, I was taking the role for experience in this area so a fixed contract in a front line role was ideal. The role was extended to 1 year, then a permanent job more in my previous area opportunity came up which I was asked to apply for and got. Been there for 7 years now.

Also remember to sign on with the job center, even if you don't need the job seekers allowance. It is a pain in the arse going in, they are as much use as a chocolate teapot and bring you down, but there was something during my recruitment at my current company that was made easier due to the fact I had proof of my employment history and registering at the job center was included. I can't remember exactly, it was something to do with some compliance for their listing in US/terrorism prevention etc, it was required even though I had no intention of US travel with work.

Good luck, it will be a tough few months ahead.

BrokenWing Fri 08-Nov-19 09:43:45

soul destroying 🤦‍♀️😳 not sole destroying! my feet were absolutely ok!!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in