Talk

Advanced search

Redundancy

(13 Posts)
howtochangemyname Mon 21-Oct-19 22:19:56

Hiya, active poster on here for a while however name changed in case it outs me as people are aware I post on here!
My employer has gone bump, I'd worked there for a number of years. All redundancy money, PILON and lost pay has to be claimed off the government.
A new company has been formed that I am working for, based in the same place, doing the same job with half of the people I worked with at the original company - the other half weren't offered jobs.
Not really interested in hearing peoples opinions on the morality of opening up a new company when the previous one has gone bump - don't mean to be rude but it's not my company and I'm not going to turn work down.
Sounds great that I have a job at the same place however the majority of my wage was bonus/commission based; it is going to take a couple of months to start earning these again so I'm practically earning nothing until then.
Putting my claim in for my money I'm entitled to, for those that haven't had to do this there is a question that asks if you have a new job, and if it is linked to the previous job. Spoken to the accountant who has told me to tell the truth (obviously), however some colleagues have stated they don't have another job.
I was ready to complete it telling the truth however one colleague has planted a seed of doubt telling me if I say I have a job I won't get my redundancy pay.
The accountant has told me it will have no bearing on my redundancy pay. I know I have to tell the truth however if it is going to affect my redundancy money I would rather know now. My question is if anyone else has been in this situation, and if they have did they get the money that they expected?
Also the people that have lied, I presume they are likely to get caught out? The start date for the new company was before we had the CN number to start the claim so surely someone will realise?
Thanks for taking the time to read.

OP’s posts: |
Tatty101 Mon 21-Oct-19 22:25:03

No concrete advice I'm afraid but just an extra thing to consider, these situations are always horrible and people get very wound up. I'd do my best to concentrate on me and not worry about comparing/getting dragged into other people's approaches or worry too much about what they're saying or not saying.

Good luck!

EBearhug Tue 22-Oct-19 08:26:03

I would assume that HMRC will see all the dates, so you would indeed be caught out at some point if you lie about it.

mummyh2016 Wed 23-Oct-19 07:21:57

Thanks both! I have no intention of lying on the form but wondered whether this would mean my redundancy pay that I am entitled to would be affected as I don't want to rely on that money if I'm not going to get it if you know what I mean.

mummyh2016 Wed 23-Oct-19 07:22:35

Name change fail arghhh angry

GinisLife Wed 23-Oct-19 08:08:02

If you're claiming under the government scheme I don't think having a new job matters. You're still entitled to it. They will find out via the new company reporting wages paid via RTI.

flowery Wed 23-Oct-19 09:52:15

The reason the form asks the question is because if it is linked to the old job, the redundancy may not be genuine in which case the tax payer isn't going to fork out for redundancy money for you!

Listen to the accountant who know what they are talking about, not colleagues who are gossip-mongering and without expertise and knowledge in this area.

mummyh2016 Wed 23-Oct-19 17:40:00

Thank you gin.

Flowery I was listening to the accountant however I wouldn't say we're exactly pally, and when I asked if it could have any bearing on my money he ignored me.

flowery Wed 23-Oct-19 18:46:33

From your OP- ” The accountant has told me it will have no bearing on my redundancy pay.”

mummyh2016 Wed 23-Oct-19 21:21:20

Flowery

This was said in passing and when I pressed it I was ignored so wanted a second opinion. Sorry this was missed out.

GOODCAT Wed 23-Oct-19 21:27:36

When my husband was made redundant a couple of years ago he was told his redundancy money would be affected if he went back to work during his "notice" period, so he didn't. Whether that was correct or not I don't know.

Abouttime Wed 23-Oct-19 21:36:21

Hi there.
I advise employees on redundancy when a Co is insolvent.
As long as you were employed for 2 years, you are entitled to redundancy pay. You can also claim for holiday accrued and arrears of pay unless you have TUPE’d to the new Co and then they will usually have to pay arrears of pay.
PILÓN is what will be affected if you have another job.
Have u been online and completed the application with your CN number?

mummyh2016 Sat 26-Oct-19 14:05:17

Abouttime

Sorry for the delay! Yep did the application a couple of days ago. Fully expecting not to get much or any PILON but will be due over £4K in redundancy alone, sounds positive I won't be losing out on that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in