Talk

Advanced search

Notice period

(7 Posts)
LoyaltyBonus Thu 10-Oct-19 21:17:59

I have to give 3 months' notice, which I think is fairly standard for senior roles.

However, I have noticed that the advertised start date in job ads doesn't allow anything like that much time.

Is the advertised date a "wish" and they really know they'll have to wait or will they be ruling out people who can't meet the start date?

OP’s posts: |
WhoKnewBeefStew Thu 10-Oct-19 21:23:56

If you're interest in the role, apply but be up front about your potential start date to avoid wasting everyone's time

quincejamplease Thu 10-Oct-19 21:26:18

Are you looking at an industry that's overrun with high quality candidates so employers can afford to disregard people on longer notice periods? Otherwise I expect it's mostly a wish.

RainbowMum11 Fri 11-Oct-19 01:08:27

What quince* said

Moondust001 Fri 11-Oct-19 07:25:55

ANy employer who puts getting a "bum on seat" by a specific date rather than employing the best candidate for the job is to be avoided anyway. So you tell them when you will be available if asked, and they need to to take that into account. It is worth noting, however, that some employers may be willing to negotiate a lesser notice period, particularly if you can present a plan for any handover and outstanding work to be completed.

adaline Fri 11-Oct-19 07:33:11

Can your notice period be negotiated at all?

My contract says I have to give a month but i know I could negotiate down from that if necessary.

Likethebattle Sat 12-Oct-19 19:43:38

A temp did my job whilst I was working my notice. She did three days a week so they had cover.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in