Social Services and DBS for school

(5 Posts)
Rlaceyh Mon 07-Oct-19 19:16:04

I want to become a teaching assistant and then get qualified in special needs education.
I have a course lined up which requires a placement in a school, which is great, the only problem is I'm really worried about my DBS.
About 2 years ago now I have my 2 year old taken away by social services due to my mental health. I never physically harmed her I would never, but because of how inconsistent my mental health was, living standards dropped and there was a police welfare check which resulted in her being taken and a whole court case which I sadly lost.

Obviously I want to move on, I still see her and she is with a family member, and I really want to do this course and placement in the school, I know I will need an enhanced DBS check and it will probably show up, but I'm just wondering what it will say and if it will effect what I want to do with my life...sad

OP’s posts: |
newnameagainagain Mon 07-Oct-19 20:03:50

I'm sorry but I think that it might.

Is working with children going to be good for your mental health after loosing your own?

Rlaceyh Mon 07-Oct-19 22:21:49

I'm sure I'll be okay. It was 2 years ago and in that time I have had access to all the right therapy and I am in a good place now.

I didn't get any convictions for anything, it was a social services matter. I didn't think DBS went into social services or mental health history only criminal convictions?

OP’s posts: |
hannah1992 Tue 08-Oct-19 09:30:42

It shows if your children were subject to a child protection plan.

It may effect it. It may not. I would be open and honest in the first instance and see what they say

Mopmum35 Tue 08-Oct-19 09:40:41

I'm hoping it all works out for you though @Rlaceyh

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in