Advice re Capability meeting tomorrow - urgently needed!

(4 Posts)
cyclotherapy Mon 30-Sep-19 22:22:17

I have been called to a Capability Meeting tomorrow, for the first step in Performance Management proceedings. It has been a big shock.

Two issues
1. I am recovering from an operation and have a fit note for amended duties. My understanding was that they cannot implement this until I am fully fit again (this is what they said last week, but have changed their minds today);
2. Is the HR department meant to be able to advise me on the process? They have said not, as it would be a conflict of interests and they just advise my employer. I have had issues with them in the past.

If better to PM me than post here, do - and thank you!

OP’s posts: |
june2007 Mon 30-Sep-19 22:42:49

Are you a memberof a union who can support and advice? Or get advice from CAB.

Isleepinahedgefund Mon 30-Sep-19 22:49:12

Is this because they are saying you're not doing your job properly, or because you've had too much sickness absence?

HR works for the employer, not for you. You'd need to get your own advice.

HeddaGarbled Mon 30-Sep-19 22:57:01

If it’s tomorrow you haven’t got any time to get proper legal/employment advice, so my advice would be to go to the meeting and take notes of what they have to say. Don’t say anything yourself, don’t try to explain or justify yourself, tell them you will be seeking advice following the meeting and so have nothing to say until you have had that opportunity. If there is someone you trust who you could take in as a witness, that would be a good idea.

Once you’ve heard what they have to say, you need some professional advice. I’m assuming you’re not in a union? If you are, that’s your first port of call. If not, contact Acas:

m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in