Talk

Advanced search

please help dont want to lose house...

(25 Posts)
TheWiltedRose Sun 12-Aug-07 16:05:56

ok im desperate for work but my dc are to young for nursery and i cant afford childcare so im looking for work from home.

So far it has all been scams and i dont have the knowledge or the capital so start my own buisness or start buying and selling so im looking for help!

If anyone can advise me i would very much appreciate it

themoon66 Sun 12-Aug-07 16:12:48

How old are your children? Could you become a childminder perhaps?

What did you do before you had children?

LIZS Sun 12-Aug-07 16:16:52

Have you checked if you'd qualify for help with childcare costs - via Tax Credits or Surestart - or do something when your partner can look after kids (weekends or evenings perhaps )

Bellie Sun 12-Aug-07 16:20:37

take in ironing that you can do when the kids are asleep?

TheWiltedRose Sun 12-Aug-07 16:24:12

my kids are 1 and 2 an i have thought about childminding my house and area is not really suitable for it.. before i had kids i was a barmaid and i have been searching for evening work but not finding any at all.

i do qualify for tax credits because my partner works however it is a small wage and not enough so keep us afloat so we are surviving on what we've got but cant buy the things the kids need or want.

TheWiltedRose Sun 12-Aug-07 16:24:46

i cant iron seriously..dont laugh lol

Bellie Sun 12-Aug-07 16:27:04

Not sure what companies do it or how much they pay, but delivering leaflets - not only are you earning money but getting fit too - you can take the kids with you?

LIZS Sun 12-Aug-07 16:28:20

if oyu worked you 'd probably get mroe tax credits includign a childcare element. Any family to care for the kids short term ? How about contacting a temp agency for catering jobs at weekends (weddings etc) or evenings

TheWiltedRose Sun 12-Aug-07 16:33:50

my partner works on a saturday so weekend jobs are out unless its evening work and i am i have just sent of an appliccation email to betterware for infomation on being a distrubuter..

Has anyone worked with them or no someone who has?

themoon66 Sun 12-Aug-07 16:35:26

DD has got herself a part time job in the bookies (Ladbrookes). They often want people on Sundays and pay well.

TheWiltedRose Sun 12-Aug-07 16:39:56

thanks thmoon i hadnt thought of that one i will ask them tomorrow

TheWiltedRose Sun 12-Aug-07 16:46:27

one day a week isnt going to do much though :S any other ideas?

themoon66 Sun 12-Aug-07 16:47:18

Not JUST sundays Rose. They do shift work, its just that Sundays pay the best... about £11 an hour DD says.

TheWiltedRose Sun 12-Aug-07 16:48:41

£11? wow thats certainly more than expected!

only problem with shifts is my dp doesnt get home from work til 8 in evening so makes it hard to do it

LIZS Sun 12-Aug-07 16:49:00

Late night/Sunday in a supermarket ? Does your dp always work Saturdays , does he have a day off in the week instead when he does ?

TheWiltedRose Sun 12-Aug-07 16:51:25

he works every sat and will a supermarket hire for just one day?

HonoriaGlossop Sun 12-Aug-07 17:02:51

supermarkets hire from, I believe, about 16 hours a week; I used to do 16 hrs at marks and spencer, think it worked out 3 evenings a week and one weekend day (you could choose sunday).

Marks were a lovely employer to work for. They may be taking on now but certainly will be in October as that's when they take on Christmas staff. Maybe that's an option. Just go to their website and have a look?

LIZS Sun 12-Aug-07 17:17:02

So does he take another day off in lieu which you could work ? I'm sure you can work less than 16 hours in shops.

TheWiltedRose Sun 12-Aug-07 17:58:33

no he only has sunday off but he does only work til 2 or 3 on a sat... unfortunately i dont have a marks near me but i will check out the other supermarkets!

yogimum Sun 12-Aug-07 18:07:29

I met someone who only worked sundays in Waitrose. Probably gets a good discount on the food aswell.

themoon66 Sun 12-Aug-07 23:58:02

MiL works in Waitrose. I think the staff discount is 10 percent. Anyway, she shops at Morrisons so it can't be that great.

squiffy Mon 13-Aug-07 10:22:50

Think a bit laterally. Post a series of ads in local paper offering dog walking, holiday housechecking & pet-feeding services, 'spring-cleaning', overnighter babysitting services, shopping & delivery services...If you have a usable car think about approaching taxi firms - they are always looking for drivers during anti-social hours....There are lots of mothers who would kill for someone to do the ghost-hours of childcare - coming to their houses to look after their kids from 7am and then taking the kids to nursery for 8am, and doing the same at the other end from 6-7. Think of advertising something like that, maybe... hotels often want people to do the night shift and there is always a high turnover of jobs in hotel/restaurant kitchens for the Saturday night shift... how about advertising party-organisation services - sending out the invites, checking attendees, booking the clown, organising fancy dress, buying all the food & drink & cake & party bags, decorating the room and so on.... speak to newsagents and also local free papers and check if they need distributers; then try to combine with an avon round or local lottery/xmas club rep jobs - that way you can do them all simultaeneously.... there are shedloads of people who are cash rich/time poor. Work out where they are in your area and think abotu what services you can offer to ease their burden - like the stuff above - and print out some leaflets and distribute them to your target addresses, tell them you are a mum of two looking to support the family finances with legitimate work... you only have to find one person willing to try you out and that will start the word-of-mouth recommendations and you can build from there. If you do advertise/distribute leaflets always put in indicative price per job/hour quotes: people are sometimes loathe to respond when they don't know if they can afford it, or they may assume it will be too expensive. A service to go to houses and feed cats/fish/gerbils when owners are on holiday will take you 5 mins per house a day; if you charge £3 a day or something like that you could end up with a dozen clients a week and hey presto you're earning £240...

TheWiltedRose Mon 13-Aug-07 14:06:16

WOW squiffy thank you so much you have given me plenty to think about and try! i will give a few of them a go and see what i can come up with! i will keep u all updated! thank u mn for giving me some mroe hope!!

moljam Mon 13-Aug-07 14:08:59

how about something like avon,you can take children with you and sort orders out when there in bed.i did it when my eldest 2 were tiny.dont make much(or not round here) but tis ok.

yogimum Mon 13-Aug-07 14:51:16

A lady delivers my boden stuff, not sure which delivery company they use. She drives a very nice bmw 4 wheel drive. I guess it would be a job you could do in the evenings or even with the kids in the daytime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now