Talk

Advanced search

Being made redundant whilst on mat leave

(4 Posts)
Kayleigh121 Wed 25-Sep-19 20:51:49

So we were informed due to reorganisation within the company most of the employees will be made redundant. However there are a couple of departments that are remaining in the current location and have jobs available but I have been told I have to apply the normal way via the website and attend an interview.
I have been reading online but very confused by everything. However it is my understanding a woman on mat leave shouldn't have to apply nor interview for a potision? Can they get round this by the fact they are two different departments?
Any advise is appreciated.
TIA x

OP’s posts: |
CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Wed 25-Sep-19 21:02:51

If it's a suitable alternative you should be appointed on application. So the question is if the job is a suitable alternative or not. Which means similar skill set, level, ts and cs

flowery Wed 25-Sep-19 21:05:53

If your role is redundant while on maternity leave and there is a suitable alternative vacancy available, you should be offered it yes, over and above other candidates.

It is entirely possible your employer doesn't actually realise this, as it involves direct preferential treatment, rather than just not treating someone less favourably than anyone else.

I would suggest you write to HR saying that this is your understanding, and refer them to regulation10(2) of the Maternity and Parental Leave etc Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/3312).

blahblahblahblahhh Wed 25-Sep-19 21:14:54

My contract ended while I was on mat leave, they had to give me a job without application / interview that came up that I was skilled for.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in