Talk

Advanced search

Member of staff doesn't turn up for work

(21 Posts)
bananacakerox Wed 11-Sep-19 18:32:08

Hi all,

I had an issue this morning whereby a member of staff didn't turn up for work at her usual 9am. By 9.15 I'm starting to get worried and call her mobile and home numbers, mobile off, home line ringing out.

I get hold of her brother at 10.30am to say she hasn't turned up, he then gets hold of her and she's got the following story -

It was her birthday yesterday
Went out last night for meal then drinks
Phone battery died so alarm didn't go off
Slept in

She apologies and offers to take a 1/2 day annual leave. She turns up early afternoon.

She is the office manager and has a very responsible role in our small business. My OH is the business owner and not impressed with her at all. Is this worthy of a eg verbal warning? Or does it get put to bed just as a 1/2 day.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
JensenAckles Wed 11-Sep-19 18:33:56

Is this a regular thing or out of character?
We're all make mistakes and I've been late before, it's just one of them things.

I think a warning is going overboard

TokyoSushi Wed 11-Sep-19 18:34:03

I think it depends, if its a one off and she's an otherwise good employee then I'd leave it as a half day holiday.

If she has form for things like this then maybe done sort of warning.

MrsMaiselsMuff Wed 11-Sep-19 18:34:33

How long has she worked there? Is she otherwise reliable?

It's unacceptable, but I do admire her honesty!

WinkysTeatowel Wed 11-Sep-19 18:35:20

I think it would depend on whether this is totally out of character or not? If she is usually very reliable etc I might be tempted to let it go, if not and you have concerns a verbal warning would be appropriate.

FawnDrench Wed 11-Sep-19 18:35:47

What does your sickness and absence policy say about informing the business when you are off unexpectedly?

Hiphopopotamus Wed 11-Sep-19 18:35:49

Is she usually reliable? If so it’s a one off mistake - let it go. Did you really start calling at 9.15?? That seems very early to jump into panic mode, especially to phone the emergency contact

theemmadilemma Wed 11-Sep-19 18:43:59

Usually reliable I'd have no issue.

9.15 was early to be calling to be fair. I'd usually give most people an hour, in the middle of a crisis if can be the one thing you're not thinking of.

HappyHammy Wed 11-Sep-19 18:44:56

One off forget it but tell her to buy an alarm clock. Regular habit he needs to speak to her.

redchocolatebutton Wed 11-Sep-19 18:45:57

a one off with a good explanation & apology - let it go.

tbh I would have been pissed off with you for contacting a relative less than 2 hours after starting time.

imnotinthemood Wed 11-Sep-19 18:50:23

I think it was quite irresponsible of her to go out on a work night and not charge her phone so her alarm didn't go off especially if she's office manager.
If it's a one off then no bother she's took annual leave .
I also think you shouldn't have rang emergency contact so early .

Beautiful3 Wed 11-Sep-19 18:54:45

If she had been working there for a year with no issues then I'd let it go. If she always off or late then I would have a talk with her. If she's only just started then give the benefit of the doubt but pull her up on it next time.

PerpendicularVincent Wed 11-Sep-19 18:56:29

I've had 2 instances of people reporting to me in the past doing similarly.

In both instances I let them take annual leave and asked that it not happen again. Everyone can make mistakes and if she's otherwise a hardworking and reliable person I would leave it at that.

bananacakerox Wed 11-Sep-19 21:38:13

Thanks for the replies. It's a one-off and she's normally very reliable with time-keeping. She's been employed for 2.5 years. She's had a few sick days off and our handbook states a call has to be made by 9am at the latest.

I didn't call the family member until 10.30am. At this point, I was worried as her mobile was still off & home phone not answering.

OP’s posts: |
Elieza Wed 11-Sep-19 21:53:59

I’ve slept in before. I’m sure every poster here has.
Imagine it was you and see how you would feel getting an official warning.
I’d be devastated. She sounds good otherwise. I’d let her take the half day unless you feel it would set a dangerous precedent to others or get you into trouble with hr.

titchy Wed 11-Sep-19 21:55:44

Gosh why are you even posting then? Of course you don't give her a formal warning if it's never happened before and she's taking leave hmm

FeelBetterForIt Wed 11-Sep-19 22:01:33

As a one off I'd expect her to be contrite when she came in and leave it at that, assuming everything else about her performance is good. If she was an accomplished shyster she'd have said she'd slept through because she was sick.

I don't do half days though, she'd have had to take a full day's leave.

carlywurly Wed 11-Sep-19 22:06:49

Definitely needs a conversation and I'd expect her to acknowledge that it wasn't ideal and apologise. If no other issues I'd probably leave it there.

It sets a poor example to others if it's just tolerated and you'll find it harder to deal with in future.

I also think you were right to have made attempts to contact her relative. We would have done the same.

daisychain01 Thu 12-Sep-19 05:37:45

It would be appropriate to have a conversation with her as you'd get a clearer idea what her attitude is. If it's apologetic and she knows it isn't very professional, then it could be something to forgive and forget and not hold against her in any appraisal. That would be supportive and realistic as an employer.

If she's dismissive and shows she isn't that bothered by her employer having to chase her for not showing up and not ringing in before the correct time, then I wouldn't be quite some easy to forget. If it happens again then her card is marked.

There's nothing in your OP to suggest she has an attitude or anything, but it is worth thinking from an employment perspective how you'd handle a repeat. It would be fair, if you have an absence policy (or an informal routine if you're an SME) to ensure she and any other staff you employ are clear on the protocol.

daisychain01 Thu 12-Sep-19 05:38:43

... quite so easy ...

BillywilliamV Thu 12-Sep-19 06:07:00

If you want her to really resentful and possibly leave then by all means give her a warning over one incident in 2.5 years. She told the truth and has apologised. Tell her there will be trouble if she does it again and leave it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in