Talk

Advanced search

Holiday entitlement for new working hours

(8 Posts)
Sm87 Sun 01-Sep-19 09:52:46

Hi everyone

I work as Nanny/Housekeeper for a family with two teenagers been here long term.

The family are reducing my hours soon (think nearly half) so I've found a second job to tie in.

Basically my contract will need to changed/updated but I've been told my holiday will be affected.

Before the meeting tomorrow with them I wondered if anyone has any advice? As a Nanny myself and all the other Nannies I know are entitled to 4 weeks holiday - 2 weeks our choice and two weeks the employers.

My new hours will be 30 for the current family so has anyone been in a similar position and if so how did it work out?

Thanks in advance....

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sun 01-Sep-19 10:19:14

You're entitled to 5.6 weeks worth of holidays so 30x5.6 = 168hrs

xyzandabc Sun 01-Sep-19 10:23:45

If you had 4 week's holiday before. Then you still have 4 week's holiday. It's just that a week used to be for example 60 hours, it's now only 30 hours.

So you'll have 4 x 30 hours instead of 4 x 60 hours. Plus however you do the bank holidays.

dementedpixie Sun 01-Sep-19 10:25:50

I assume the 4 weeks are 4x7days as you are entitled to a minimum of 28 days holiday

LIZS Sun 01-Sep-19 10:27:25

You still have 4 weeks, but based on your reduced days/hours.

AnonymousMugwumpery Sun 01-Sep-19 10:32:44

No DementedPixie - it's a whatever a working week is, not 7 days.

Whether your days of annual leave are affected will depend how your 30 hours is allocated - eg if you will be doing 3 days of 10 hours each week your holiday entitlement will be 5.6x 3 days. If you are doing 6 x 5 hours, then your entitlement is 5.6 x 6. Obviously, the value of a day's holiday depends on what you would have earned for that day! If the length of your working days vary, then it is fairest to work it out as hours and if you take a short day off, you use up a shorter number of hours holiday than a longer day.

AnonymousMugwumpery Sun 01-Sep-19 10:37:18

Apologies DementedPixie - have just reread and see what you meant. blush OP - I assume you got bank holidays on top of your four weeks?

dementedpixie Sun 01-Sep-19 10:57:19

Yes I was just confirming OP is not being short changed as minimum entitlement is 5.6 weeks worth of holidays, not just 4 weeks

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in