Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Presentation for interview - how to approach?

(7 Posts)
newlifenewname Tue 07-Aug-07 16:46:56

Letter says "Please prepare a 10 min presentation on how you would convince a headteacher that developing extended services and being part of a consortia would benefit their school".

Now, I know what I want to say and can provide convincing argument I think but I wish to know whether I should do the presentation in the role of said coordinator trying to convince said head teacher or more in 3rd person iykwim.

Not sure how to explain to you what I mean...

Also, they have not been able to confirm whether powerpoint is possible or desired so I am planning to do it Lo-tech with just written notes, does that sound okay?

flowerybeanbag Tue 07-Aug-07 16:49:54

I don't know anything about the subject matter. I am assuming said coordinator is the role you are going for? In which case do it in role, not in 3rd person, you will come across as more convincing.
And ask about powerpoint. If at all possible, use it, even if you have to beg, borrow or steal a laptop.
Do not use written notes, looks amateurish. Ask what facilities they can provide, even overhead projector is better, and notes should be typed not written.

good luck!

newlifenewname Tue 07-Aug-07 16:53:47

See, the thing is I have emailed to confirm attendance, as requested and in the same Email asked about Powerpoint but PA to head did not respond to my question - just replied saying thanks for confirming attendance.

Have since phoned and left voicemail but nobody at school so have not had a reply.

Pink teddy having similar probs getting hold of anyone... Grrrr!

I have the laptop but not sure about projector, etc. for viewing.

Will I look odd suddenly launching into role for presentation given that headteacher will be interviewing me also?

And yes, the role is the coordinator position.

newlifenewname Tue 07-Aug-07 16:54:19

Thanks for wishing me luck btw. I badly want this job!

flowerybeanbag Tue 07-Aug-07 17:06:22

Keep ringing, I'm sure they will have a projector and can arrange for it to be available if you harass enough, it's worth it.
No you won't look odd launching into coordinator role, it will just save you having to keep saying 'I would say x, I would do y'. If you need to say something beforehand to avoid just launching into it, you can just say before you start, 'for the purposes of this presentation I am working on the assumption that I am the coordinator presenting to a headteacher'.

crumpet Tue 07-Aug-07 17:07:28

You could create the ppt presentation anyway, then have coloured print outs to distribute if when you get there there is no projector etc.

legalalien Tue 07-Aug-07 17:15:13

I agree with crumpet re the printouts - if you don't have access to a decent printer between now and then, make sure you save the presentation onto disk so that they can easily transfer to their machine without mucking about.

I would also go for the "in character" approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now