Is this out of order?

(14 Posts)
kjhkj Sat 31-Aug-19 07:56:18

If you're salaried your are NOT contracted to do as many hours as it takes to do the job! Absolute rubbish.

I didn't say that, I said if you are salaried and you are contracted to work such hours as are reasonably necessary.

This is a common clause in many senior level contracts and would be expected in roles paying more than about 30k. I draft employment contracts for a living (employment solicitor)

rookiemere Fri 30-Aug-19 14:45:08

Have you asked her what you haven't done as a result of not working unpaid overtime ?

PuppyMonkey Fri 30-Aug-19 14:15:10

I used to work at a place like this. Bosses tutting when you left a 9-5 shift at 5.30pm. Others were staying till 6 or 7pm (possibly if they hadn’t gone for lots of 20 minute fag breaks throughout the day they too might have finished on time. wink)

Shudder.

username678889 Fri 30-Aug-19 14:08:50

I agree with @Isleepinahedgefund .
I've always had to leave on time but will stay if required and with notice . It works both ways I wouldn't expect my employers to be happy if I had to suddenly leave early unless emergency so I would require notice if I have to work late .
It annoys me that some people act like a martyr that they stay late it's like the world revolves around the company it does not . It's all about a work life balance and they are being unreasonable expecting you to work late with no notice . If everything is done that is urgent then no problem.

AmIThough Fri 30-Aug-19 14:07:34

Keep working your hours. Your boss is an idiot.

If there's ever a task you can't achieve within your contracted hours, let your boss know so they can get you support.

My workplace have recently made some people redundant and those who work all hours don't get the recognition they think they do.
They were the ones first out the door.

Isleepinahedgefund Fri 30-Aug-19 13:55:18

If you're salaried your are NOT contracted to do as many hours as it takes to do the job! Absolute rubbish.

I think your manager is being extremely unreasonable to suggest that you're not dedicated to your role because you don't stay late.

I am contracted for 36 hours a week and paid a salary. I generally work my 36 hours and the rest of my life is mine. Occasionally things crop up where extra hours are needed, and I get them back in lieu. I'm happy to pitch in to get the teams work done, I am not happy to give martyr my entire life to my job.

There are many people in my office who routinely work while they're on leave or at weekends/evenings when they simply don't need to. They announce it like they're doing the world a favour. I always respond by acting shocked and asking if they can't do their job in the 36 hours a week. I have also pointed out that the only person who gets hurt when you fall on your sword is you.... and suggested they address their unmanageable workload with their manager. The managers I have coached who do this I have challenged by pointing out it's a potential health and safety issue and they're breaching their duty of care to their staff.

Malvinaa81 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:30:23

Managers just don't like staff leaving for home at times they perceive as "early" even with a flexible hours scheme.

And often it is women who need to leave on time, for numerous reasons.

I did directly observe that the people so critical of those leaving at reasonable times immediately did so whenever and however often it suited them.

Advertisement

kjhkj Fri 30-Aug-19 09:24:18

It depends on what you do. If you are hourly paid then no you should not be expected to stay. If you are salaried and you are contracted to work such hours as are necessary for you to perform your role properly then that is unlikely to be possible if you 9-5 it.

Onegoodmutha Fri 30-Aug-19 09:21:06

I’ve never missed a deadline and have always arranged in advance for someone else to collect the kids if I’m needed to work in the evening or weekends, I just can’t stay late on an ad hoc basis.
My husband leaves on time but has a longer commute so can’t make it to nursery at 6.
He also earns twice as much so we have chosen to prioritise his career - I guess that’s the problem!

OP’s posts: |
LolaSmiles Thu 29-Aug-19 23:42:39

It depends on the role and tasks you've got to get done.

I'm not a fan of presenteeism or competitive over working by the way and think both are damaging.

However, if it's a salaried professional role where a reasonable level of flexibility is expected then someone leaving on the dot every day and not showing reasonable professional flexibility doesn't show commitment to the career.

Out of interest are you with your children's father and does he leave on the dot for his job? I only ask because disproportionately it's mothers who have to leave on the dot and have the associated issues whereas fathers seem to avoid that, often because their partners are the ones doing it.

Ylvamoon Thu 29-Aug-19 23:35:38

I have been in a job like that. My commitment was questioned as I didn't stay to finish some daily tasks (trade with China & contract stated UK working hours).... I didn't even manage pass the probation period, due to childcare among other things!
Some jobs just don't work out & life is too short to stay in the wrong work environment!

Motherofacat Thu 29-Aug-19 23:33:29

You shouldn't be expected to work from home, however, depending on your line of work sometimes it is necessary to be flexible to meet deadlines etc but that's usually part of a discussion with management to arrange time back in lieu etc.

C0untDucku1a Thu 29-Aug-19 23:25:28

Are you as productive as your colleague?

Onegoodmutha Thu 29-Aug-19 23:23:33

Possibly I’m being sensitive - my boss recently brought up the fact that I leave work on time (as a negative) whereas my colleagues stay late and also work from home in the evening. She thinks I’m not committed to the role because of this.
I have to leave on time in order to collect my children from nursery before 6 when they close.
Is this out of order?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in