Talk

Advanced search

Advice please

(7 Posts)
Cameron2012 Wed 21-Aug-19 17:45:25

Hi,
My Husband had an illness last year that has meant he is now visually impaired and not as strong as he used to be.
His employer was very good and he went back to work in a different position but has adapted and was recently offered a promotion that he turned down as he felt it would be too much to take on.
He recently spoke to HR about reducing his working week by one day, this was agreed with her and also the office manager,.
It is far better for my husband as he is able to rest properly and he is far happier.
Last week his direct manager commented about the needs of the business and that he hadn’t been consulted about my husband working four days.
I asked my husband if he had received his new contract, he hadnt so I said to contact HR, which he did.
HR have contacted him back to say that this man has to agree for my husband to get the contract.
He has been on a four day week for a month now, he has not been called into the office for any kind of formal chat about him not coming in one day a week, this was the first that we have heard that there is a problem .
There is obviously some frantic back peddling going on but where does that leave him?
He has made a remarkable recovery but a 5 day week is no longer a physical option for him.
His neurologist,occupational therapist and doctor all agree this is the best option for him to continue in employment.

OP’s posts: |
Cameron2012 Wed 21-Aug-19 19:26:29

To clarify my last sentence , they feel a shorter working week is better for him

Lotsalotsagiggles Wed 21-Aug-19 20:03:51

I'd get it in writing from occ health and apply for formal reasonable adjustment

Sickoffamilydrama Wed 21-Aug-19 20:06:15

Unless they specifically say to him we need you to go back to 5 days from next week, I would just continue as he is, if he does it for a few months HR might be worried that it's become a custom/practice and then they might be reluctant to change it back.

I will add it might not work but it's worth a try.

Cameron2012 Thu 22-Aug-19 07:02:34

Thankyou for your replies x

HeartZone Thu 22-Aug-19 07:12:30

Bumping for you.
Hope you get some more advice.
Good luck.

Cameron2012 Thu 22-Aug-19 18:05:03

ThankYou Heartzone

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in