Wife on the sick

(8 Posts)
Druid123 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:30:18

Hi wonder if anyone has any idea what happens after 28 weeks on the sick. my wife has had an operation which has not gone as planned she is unable to return to work. I work full time and earn a reasonably salary we have our own home with a mortgage we can just about make ends meet with the ssp but when it ends I feel things could go wrong very fast. Does anyone know what she will get after and is it means tested. We are planning to sell our house and down size or maybe cash in my pension to pay off the house as a last resort we are in our late fifties early sixties so lucky to have options. but I do struggle to get the situation through to my wife. who is always helping the grown up children out with food or money which we in the near future will no longer be able to afford. As a typical man do struggle to admit to our family that it might all go horrible wrong thanks for reading this

OP’s posts: |
zenasfuck Sun 28-Jul-19 11:33:22

She can apply for esa - employment support allowance. If she has been working and has enough NI Contributions then she can claim the contributions based form of esa which isn't means tested

madcatladyforever Sun 28-Jul-19 11:34:25

You need to talk to her urgentyly and tell her in no uncertain terms that you are teetering on the edge and if she continues to give money away you will lose your home.
If necessary write out an incomings and outgoings chart and show it to her.
If she knows how much she has each month to play with she can budget.

dementedpixie Sun 28-Jul-19 11:35:05

If you’re not eligible or yourSSPends

You may be able to apply forUniversal CreditorEmployment and Support Allowance (ESA). You can useform SSP1to support your application.

If yourSSPis ending your employer must send you form SSP1 either:

within 7 days of yourSSPending, if it ends unexpectedly while you’re still sick

on or before the beginning of the 23rd week, if yourSSPis expected to end before your sickness does

Moondust001 Sun 28-Jul-19 22:15:21

Please don't cash in your pension. That is a very shortsighted thing to do, as it won't stave off the wolf, it just keeps it at bay for a time. You don't want to lose your pension. It's money that is important to both of your for the future.

You do need to talk to her about the money situation. She can't be unaware of the loss of income and the struggle you will have, so she needs to stop giving things away - time for the kids to stand on their own two feet for a while. And you should tell your children - it might be a hard conversation for you, but they ought to know, and they ought to be ensuring the play their part by not taking what they are being given.

Babyroobs Tue 30-Jul-19 18:29:42

She can new style ESA if she has paid enough NI contributions over the years 2016-17 and 2017-18. Assessment rate will be about £73.10 a week rising once assessed maybe.

Chazzabell Tue 30-Jul-19 23:07:12

I was unfit for work for 12 months,
My employer sent me the relevant form to fill in
All very straight forward!
Think I got about £160 every 2 weeks
Have to add, my boss was absolutely amazing 😉

Malvinaa81 Fri 02-Aug-19 17:58:06

Very unsure in your own case , OP, about the employer sending you a from and your wife getting £160 a week.....

Tell her to cut back and you'll both have to admit the seriousness of the situation to near relatives.

And the cashing in of a pension at your age must be a totally last resort- can you get some proper financial advice? There are public bodes and charities if cost is too worrying.

Very best wishes, and hope for the future.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in