Talk

Advanced search

Anyone work for the NHS?

(14 Posts)
maximoo87 Tue 23-Jul-19 09:30:05

Hi, hoping someone can help. I started a new job in April this year and I am on 6 months’ probation. Previous to this I worked in a GP surgery for 6 years but that experience was not counted with my new job so I started my new job as a new starter to the NHS. Just wanting to know if I need to be off sick for a few days will I be paid normally or not? Can’t find an answer anywhere and it’s not clear in my contract and manager is on holiday for a short while. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
maximoo87 Tue 23-Jul-19 11:37:06

Anyone?

Todaythiscouldbe Tue 23-Jul-19 11:39:29

It will be in your contract. Mine was no sick pay for a year (only ssp) then a sliding scale that rolls on a 12 monthly basis.
If you're too sick to be at work it's irrelevant though so I'm not sure why you're asking.

Todaythiscouldbe Tue 23-Jul-19 11:42:20

Sorry, it is possibly in your staff handbook not contract. I'm not at work today to check.

CatInADoghouse Tue 23-Jul-19 11:45:27

Do you have a local intranet? The policies are usually on there and I would think that the sickness policy would be different for each NHS trust.

maximoo87 Tue 23-Jul-19 11:58:36

I've got flu and don't feel well enough to be in today it hurts to even speak but physically can not afford to be off and not get paid, so will only take the rest of week off if I will be paid. I've had a look on the intranet but can't find anything relating to this

Hobbes8 Tue 23-Jul-19 12:01:21

My NHS contract states 1 month full pay within the first year of service, then 2 months half pay, then SSP. I’ve never heard of anyone not entitled to sick pay at all, but I think different organisations can set their own policies.

I work for a CCG, if that helps.

Todaythiscouldbe Tue 23-Jul-19 12:07:11

Please don't go to work with flu. You may not need the rest of the week off, take it day by day. Do you have a staff helpline you can call? As others have said, different trusts will have different policies so it's not a simple answer.

FixTheBone Tue 23-Jul-19 12:22:40

You cant go to work with flu.

And the above x10 if you are anywhere near patients - its frankly dangerous to go to work with a contagious illness and massively unfair on the patients and your co-workers.

maximoo87 Tue 23-Jul-19 12:29:39

I don't work with patients, I work in a small office and have been passed this by my colleagues, who came into work with it. When I worked in GP surgery it was 1 month full pay within the first year of service but I literally can't find any information at all here!

CatInADoghouse Tue 23-Jul-19 12:48:50

All of the policies should be listed under HR. Is there a search function? You could look up 'sickness'

CatInADoghouse Tue 23-Jul-19 12:49:34

Or just HR a ring?

soccerbabe Wed 24-Jul-19 08:02:43

www.nhsemployers.org/tchandbook/part-3-terms-and-conditions-of-service/section-14-sickness-absence-england
confirms Hobbes8's post above.

maximoo87 Wed 24-Jul-19 11:33:09

I found my contract last night which states 'no contractual sick pay during 1st years service' tbh I think that's an absolute disgrace, especially since I was AFC all the years I was in the GP surgery. I've emailed HR but not heard anything back yet. By myself today at work but all I want to do is go home to bed and feel sorry for myself!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in