Talk

Advanced search

Help - 6 month contact issue

(15 Posts)
Annie1977 Wed 17-Jul-19 19:52:29

Hi there,

Just looking for a little advice...

I started a new job 2 months ago. On my very first day, my manager turned over an inbox to me, that she had previously been using, which contained all the emails about the interviews for the post. In my first afternoon, I found out that I was a second choice candidate but the first couldn't accept the post due to her current work commitments.

In one of the emails, my manager states to the other candidate that they should stay in touch as the contract they are offering me are only an initial 6 months and in the long run, they think she would be better.

And last week she emailed my manager (actually me) to arrange coffee!

Obviously, I am devastated reading this and embarrassed and a bit angry. My family and I have actually relocated for this job, which was discussed as part of the interview process and everyone involved was aware. The job role is continuing after 6 months and it was never suggested that I would leave after 6 months and it hasn't been discussed.

I've been in the role 2 months now, its going really well and I'm doing a good job.

So is it even legal to get rid of me to hire someone else to do exactly the same job?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Annie xx

Pissedoffinsomniac Wed 17-Jul-19 19:56:26

Oh my goodness, how terrible. As I'm finding out from personal experience, an employer has every right to get rid of you within 2 years without redress unless they have discriminated against you and you can prove it.

Annie1977 Wed 17-Jul-19 20:13:44

Thanks for your message, I thought that might be the case. Sorry this kind of this is happening to you also, it’s miserable isn’t it?
Have you managed to find something else?

leghairdontcare Wed 17-Jul-19 20:19:10

I'm assuming this is a small company? Have they actually issued you a permanent contract?

Annie1977 Wed 17-Jul-19 20:25:07

Thanks for your message.
It’s a charity which is sort of an umbrella for several small charities. In my charity it’s just my manager and I. They stated that it was a 6 month contract, but when I asked for a landlord reference as part of the relocation, the director said he would give me a permanent contract as it would be easier to pass the referencing and that it made no difference until 2 years had passed.

imsorryiasked Wed 17-Jul-19 20:27:45

So do you actually have a permanent contract or a 6 month one?

Pissedoffinsomniac Wed 17-Jul-19 20:27:52

No, finding it difficult as I'm pregnant so feel like a pariah going for jobs

leghairdontcare Wed 17-Jul-19 20:28:54

So they told you it was a 6 month contract?

Annie1977 Wed 17-Jul-19 20:31:42

Imsorryiask I guess it’s a permanent contract. It’s the only one I have and it’s signed by the managing director and myself. I’m also guessing that my manager isn’t aware that this has happened.
Such a horrible situation!

Pissedoffinsomniac congratulations. I hope you have some luck x

imsorryiasked Wed 17-Jul-19 20:40:22

Well I would keep a hard copy of all of the emails and sit tight. Unless the subject comes up on which case explain to your manager that you have a permanent contract.
And then just carry on working hard and keeping records of all your achievements and targets etc.

Annie1977 Wed 17-Jul-19 20:57:23

Thanks 🙏 I will definitely do that

flowery Wed 17-Jul-19 21:55:56

”So is it even legal to get rid of me to hire someone else to do exactly the same job?”

Yes absolutely. And it sounds like they were clear it was six months but wrote you a permanent contract to help with your landlord reference. But even if that wasn’t the case, they can certainly dismiss you by giving notice if they want to this early in your employment.

Redcliff Thu 18-Jul-19 18:53:12

Bloody hell - your manager should have realised that giving you access to the e-mails would mean you seeing that info. I like the hanging tight advice - I took a 9 month admin role once and ended up staying for 8 years and becoming a manager. Good luck.

Rtmhwales Thu 18-Jul-19 19:27:33

Did you forward her email about coffee to your manager?

janebond007 Thu 18-Jul-19 20:00:53

"dear manager

I am forwarding this email from X which it seems was meant for you.

Would you like me to also forward the previous discussions you have had with X?"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »