Talk

Advanced search

12 month probation period seems exceptionally long?

(7 Posts)
BillyJowel Mon 15-Jul-19 13:38:57

I’ve accepted a job with a local authority and am surprised to see the probation period is 12 months long. Is this normal for local authorities?

I am aware that no employee really has any rights until they have been in post for 2 years so I am wondering what the purpose of this exceptionally long probation is.

Being cynical I am wondering if they might be using it as a ‘12 month contract’ situation?

Ginger1982 Mon 15-Jul-19 13:50:56

Do you think that the 2 year qualifying service to get employment rights would only start after the probation period? Sounds like they want to have as big a window as possible to be able to sack you!

prh47bridge Mon 15-Jul-19 16:58:03

Do you think that the 2 year qualifying service to get employment rights would only start after the probation period

No it wouldn't. The 2 years starts on the first day you are employed regardless of whether or not you are on probation.

Ginger1982 Mon 15-Jul-19 17:43:37

@prh47bridge thanks, I wasn't sure.

Boyskeepswinging Mon 15-Jul-19 17:45:48

12 months is not uncommon.

gearandloathing Mon 15-Jul-19 18:37:48

I've seen this in the public sector. I think it's too long. Probation period doesn't really mean anything legally due to the two year rule, but it can be a good way to make a new employee feel engaged, welcomed and motivated. I think making people wait 12 months to get that seal of approval is too long... most employers know within 3-6 months if someone is right or not.

MauritiusDreaming Tue 16-Jul-19 16:04:57

12 Months does seem ridiculously long. My brother had a 12 month probation period however this was because he has a brain injury so they put the 12 month probation period in to protect him and the employer as neither were sure he could complete the job given it was a very recent head injury and even the doctors didn't know the true impact his accident had on his brain

As a general rule, I think 12 months is FAR too long, and only applicable to particular circumstance such as above

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »