Talk

Advanced search

Anyone taken parental leave?

(17 Posts)
IheartNiles Sun 14-Jul-19 18:13:02

The up to 4 weeks a year, unpaid leave, maximum 18 weeks before a child turns 18 option?

I’m NHS clinical and was thinking about doing this. Not at work to check the policy but a bit surprised as google is throwing up quite a few NHS policies saying up to 14 years. Seems odd as GOV and alas policies state 18 years?

dementedpixie Sun 14-Jul-19 19:11:28

What date is on the policies as the policy was changed in 2015 from age 5 to age 18

IheartNiles Sun 14-Jul-19 21:15:05

Thanks Demented.

Some were from 2016. I’m guessing that the NHS policies can’t waiver from the government and acas policies in a negative way? Usually the NHS is MORE generous than the statute, not less.

DropZoneOne Sun 14-Jul-19 21:21:45

The government parental leave is unpaid. Google tells me the NHS parental leave is paid up to age 14 and unpaid up to age 18.

I took two weeks back in 2012 when DD started school and it was only up to age 5 so just got in! Unpaid so saved in the months leading up to it as the reduced September pay was shock

Penguincity Sun 14-Jul-19 21:24:55

Nhs rules in my trust is paid, 4 weeks in total per child up to 14. Unpaid up to 18 years old

IQuit3 Mon 15-Jul-19 19:52:04

I work for the NHS. So I could take 4 weeks parental leave off for my 12 year old in addition to annual leave and get paid for it?!

Douberry Mon 15-Jul-19 19:54:22

Placemarking as also interested in knowing - also NHS here... smile

DefinatelyAWeeGobshite Mon 15-Jul-19 19:57:59

I’m NHS Scotland and our policy is 4 weeks total of paid leave per child until the age of 14 and an additional 14 weeks unpaid per child until the age of 18.

I had twins so have 8 weeks paid until the age of 14 which I used a week of last year as we had no childcare. I had to complete a form or write a letter, I can’t remember which, it might have been both.

IheartNiles Mon 15-Jul-19 20:24:49

Thanks all. I checked the Trust policy today. It’s fairly hidden away which probably means they would prefer people didn’t apply for it.

I work in a London Trust. Their policy is (all unpaid) up to 18 weeks per child (4 weeks max per year) until the child turns 18. You have to take it in blocks of weeks. 21 days notice to be given, the manager can ask you to defer it for good business reasons but no longer than 6 months. It didn’t make any mention of pension contributions so I’ve emailed payroll to find out. It seems identical to the government website. I’m definitely going to start taking it (mine turns 18 in 4 years).

leghairdontcare Mon 15-Jul-19 20:28:14

I took 3 weeks (unpaid) last year when my son started reception. It was really good and would definitely do it again in the future.

hairhair Mon 15-Jul-19 20:30:04

I'm just taking some to cover childcare issues at the end of maternity leave. It came under Special Leave in my trust and is unpaid sad

IheartNiles Mon 15-Jul-19 20:57:22

What did you do about pension contributions?

leghairdontcare Mon 15-Jul-19 21:49:15

I paid my pension contributions as normal so there was no detriment. Not that 3 weeks would make much difference in the scheme of things.

FogCutter Mon 15-Jul-19 21:54:37

I be taken 3 lots of parental leave and it's been very useful. 2 blocks of 2 weeks to settle the DC into primary and high school and a week to go on holiday with family as I'd planned my annual leave really badly!

IQuit3 Tue 16-Jul-19 06:16:45

I've checked my trust policy regarding this and it's all unpaid. Still good to know though. I I think lots of people are unaware of it.

Ffsnosexallowed Tue 16-Jul-19 06:20:20

It's a national agenda for change policy. As said above 4 weeks paid leave for each child under age of 14. It doesn't replace statutory rights. I've got an extra week booked in October to cover part of school holidays.

IheartNiles Tue 16-Jul-19 06:51:43

NHS England policy doesn’t mandate the 4 weeks is paid. Basically says 18 weeks normally unpaid but might be paid by local agreement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »