Do you tell your employer if you've applied for something else?

(13 Posts)
IamtheOA Wed 10-Jul-19 20:41:11

Just that really. Do you feel that you owe it to your employer to tell them if you are applying for something else?

OP’s posts: |
ShakeYourTailFeathers Wed 10-Jul-19 20:46:03

No. Tell them when you resign and not before.

glasshalfsomething Wed 10-Jul-19 20:47:02

Nope. Only when handing in notice to leave. Unless you’re hoping for a counter offer?

123rd Wed 10-Jul-19 20:48:19

I did...but only to push them into action. I had been promised a promotion / upgrade. Months passed so I thought I'd apply for another post.
I told my manager about the interview , then got offered the job. Told my manager that too. Same day, got my promotion!!

managedmis Wed 10-Jul-19 20:50:32

Er, dont tell them

PinkFlowerFairy Wed 10-Jul-19 20:52:08

Dont you have to - as in in my world they will get asked for references so its a bit ryde not to ler them know they will be asked.

How arenpeople getting jobs without pkaces of work being contacted for references?!

TealGreenBalloons Wed 10-Jul-19 20:54:37

Of course not, what a pointless thing to do.

TealGreenBalloons Wed 10-Jul-19 20:55:29

@PinkFlowerFairy well you tell them when you've been offered a job and accepted, so they can do a reference if needed... not just if you've applied for something!

PinkFlowerFairy Wed 10-Jul-19 20:56:42

Ah in teaching and the type of jobs Ive applied for references are taken up first!

I didn't realise that was unusual.

Babyroobs Wed 10-Jul-19 22:20:26

I have been in a relatively new job and did tell my employer as I needed to take time off. I wish I hadn't now though. One good thing that has come from it though is that they have started to be more supportive since they have known gone for interviews.

notapizzaeater Wed 10-Jul-19 22:29:28

No unless it's a school as they are weird and everyone knows

Bouledeneige Wed 10-Jul-19 22:33:34

No. Only if you have been offered the job and have signed a contract and they have confirmed all the references. (unless the reference is a line manager in which case tell them after signing the contract).

Otherwise you could be alerting them before you know you have got a job and telling them you're not committed. What happens if it takes 10 applications till you get a job? Bad idea.

EarringsandLipstick Wed 10-Jul-19 23:03:30

My sector - higher education - is totally different. You would say to your manager you had expressed an interest in a role; in fact, very often a manager will suggest you consider a role.

I know it sounds strange compared to private sector where I also worked.

Very often interview panel may consist of someone senior from your organisation. It is expected you notify your referees in advance of applying for job, too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in