Talk

Advanced search

Job advertised whilst I’m still working my notice

(117 Posts)
Mummytowooter Fri 28-Jun-19 17:27:32

Just what it says on the tin!

Can they do that? I’m only one week into my notice and never in my career have I know that to happen (healthcare - private)

TIA

Bigpizzalover Fri 28-Jun-19 17:28:20

Yes, they will need a replacement for when your notice ends.

CloudRusting Fri 28-Jun-19 17:29:26

Of course they can. What is your issue with this?

abbey44 Fri 28-Jun-19 17:29:39

Why wouldn't they? Presumably they'll be needing to replace you, and it can be a lengthy process, so starting to recruit now will help minimise the gap between you and your replacement. Unless you're on a twelve-month notice period or something...

Ounce Fri 28-Jun-19 17:30:24

Seriously? I’ve never known that not to happen. How else are they meant to get someone to replace you without a break in service? confused

applepieicecream Fri 28-Jun-19 17:31:22

that is normal, they won't want a big gap between you leaving and someone else starting

Pipandmum Fri 28-Jun-19 17:31:24

I’m not sure I understand - surely they’ll need to replace you and want someone to start as soon as you leave if not before to have some overlap? When I’ve resigned my employers have always been pretty quick to advertise for a replacement, or promote within and have them shadow me for a week..

EmrysAtticus Fri 28-Jun-19 17:31:26

Very sensible of them. If lucky they may be able to get someone in early enough to do a handover with you

IamHyouweegobshite Fri 28-Jun-19 17:31:47

Totally unreasonable, they should wait until you leave, be short staffed, and then advertise. What a bunch of knobs hmm

Tiptopj Fri 28-Jun-19 17:31:48

Its normal. recruitment can take a long time, then employers often have to wait for that person to work their notice, then theres induction days and any training they might need before they can actually be left on their own. The whole replacement process rarely takes less than the notice period of the person leaving so it's just thinking ahead and nothing personal.

Oblomov19 Fri 28-Jun-19 17:31:50

Eh?
This is the norm.

OverseasWorker Fri 28-Jun-19 17:32:12

My last job was advertised while I was working my notice. How would they get someone on for me to handover to otherwise?

Likewise the job I have now was advertised and I started before the previous holder left.

Mummytowooter Fri 28-Jun-19 17:32:31

Thanks to those of you with the constructive responses!! This has never happened before so I asked for help not a shitty attitude!!

Di11y Fri 28-Jun-19 17:32:34

That's the whole point of a notice period. so they don't have a gap.

Redcrayons Fri 28-Jun-19 17:33:51

Perfectly normal, can’t believe you’ve never come across it before.

HobbyIsCodeForDogging Fri 28-Jun-19 17:35:23

If you've never had it happen before, perhaps your previous employers didn't see any need to replace you.

MrsFezziwig Fri 28-Jun-19 17:36:01

I have known it happen occasionally because HR couldn’t find their own arse if it was handed to them on a plate but it’s not supposed to and is not the norm.

SleepingStandingUp Fri 28-Jun-19 17:36:13

OP I assume you need to be replaced? Advertising once you've left would leave your position vacant for potentially several months. This is surely the professional thing to do for the sake of your current team

PurpleDaisies Fri 28-Jun-19 17:37:19

What did you expect to happen?

LeekMunchingSheepShagger Fri 28-Jun-19 17:37:51

Yes of course they can. Who's going to do your job when you leave if they haven't got a replacement lined up? confused

ChicCroissant Fri 28-Jun-19 17:38:47

It is normal OP, perhaps if you have worked for a larger employer before it can take them a bit longer to go through all the procedures before advertising the post and a smaller, private company will just get the ad out as soon as possible so they are not left with a gap to cover.

Don't worry about what your soon-to-be-ex employers are doing about your vacancy, that's for them to sort out - hopefully you've got another one lined up and good luck in your new job.

Mummytowooter Fri 28-Jun-19 17:39:37

Oh my god! I’ve had the day from hell! I would just like to have been told out of curtesy! Thanks for shitting on me and making me feel a lot worse than I already do!!

Mummytowooter Fri 28-Jun-19 17:41:29

Thank you chic

PurpleDaisies Fri 28-Jun-19 17:41:31

I’m confused why you’re upset though. You’re leaving. It doesn’t affect you.

flowery Fri 28-Jun-19 17:44:19

What’s your concern exactly OP?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »