Getting out of a bad job and into a better one

(8 Posts)
HippoSeahorse1 Wed 26-Jun-19 11:24:20

Hi all
I'm currently coming to the end of my 6 months probation in a role and have had the probation extended. During that time, I've delivered on a number of the things asked of me but have struggled with the more complex projects. The stress has built up and I've now made some mistakes / oversights, giving them grounds to extend my probation, which they have done. I've never been in this position before. Since I started with the organisation I haven't been given any local induction for the team I am on or on boarding for the culture here and have just been left to muddle through. I have identified with them what I need but it hasn't been put in place. I have an interview lined up for tomorrow that I should be in with a good chance for, but I'm crippled with anxiety about going back to the other place. If I get the job, and then got signed off with stress, because I want to ensure I am in good shape for the new job, how could I manage this with my new employer?

OP’s posts: |
AnyaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Jun-19 15:26:05

Hi OP,

We're just giving this a bump for you, in case a Mumsnettters that can help sees it. flowers

maxelly Thu 27-Jun-19 15:38:24

Hi OP, sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I know it's hard but can you take one step at a time, maybe for now just focus on preparing as well as you can for the interview tomorrow and don't worry too much about what can/will happen if you get it?

If you are feeling really down it might be a good idea to seek some help from your GP regardless of the outcome?

If you do get the job, I think you'd have various options. You could get signed off for the duration of your notice period if you are not fit to be at work but I'd then expect this to be mentioned in your reference to new employer which might give them some cause for concern, and you might then have to explain the whole situation to them which could be a bit stressful in itself? But of course if you are not well enough to be at work then you have no choice.

You might find that once you know you are leaving the stress reduces a bit, how long is your notice period- many contracts/policies provide for a short notice period whilst you are on probation, sometimes as little as 1-2 weeks? For the people I manage if they are on notice periods of 4 weeks or less, I ask them to start handing over work pretty much as soon as they've handed their notice in, particularly complex things. So you may find your workload decreases and the pressure is off a bit fairly quickly?

Your current work may also be agreeable to you reducing your notice period a bit, again as a manager I am often OK with this as I don't want unhappy/disengaged people forced to be there. They may even (and I say may because some employers would never countenance this) agree to put you on gardening leave for some or all of your notice period. Or maybe you could use some annual leave if you are owed any to reduce your 'effective' notice period.

As a 'nuclear' option if they won't agree to reduce your notice in any way, you could just walk away from the job without serving your full contractual notice period. You would technically be in breach of contract but realistically there is little or no comeback an employer can exercise against an employee doing this, except mentioning it in any future reference. If you feel too stressed to go back to that job but feel able to start your new one then this could be not the worst thing in the world, although sounds like ideally you need a bit of a break to recover a bit and get yourself prepared for a new role?

But as I say, hang on in there, focus on the interview for now and take it from there. Good luck!

HippoSeahorse1 Fri 28-Jun-19 21:28:51

Hi Maxelly

Thanks so much for breaking all of that down for me. I am really pleased to say I interviewed yesterday and was offered the job on the spot which was lovely. As you suggested, my manager has seen sense and agreed to a 2 week notice period which will hopefully just entail me putting together a detailed handover.

I will see how things go stress wise and get signed off if I have to, but so much has turned around since my first post I'm hoping I can hang in there and look forward to my new start!

If anyone out there feels in my position I would wholeheartedly recommend cutting your losses. I am really glad I went with that decision before I felt too unwell to work.

I am now just hanging in there hoping the NHS will match my current pay.

Any tips on negotiating with them?

Thanks in advance, and thanks again Maxelly for totally having my back smile

daisychain01 Sat 29-Jun-19 05:28:55

Since I started with the organisation I haven't been given any local induction for the team I am on or on boarding for the culture here and have just been left to muddle through.

Firstly many congratulations in securing your new post. Your above comment says to me that you should not blame yourself for what happened - leaving you to survive with no Induction or support is totally unacceptable. I've had a new starter to my team and in the past 2 weeks, we've had daily 15 min meetings to discuss progress and cover queries quickly, I often email things across as "FYI" to them so they feel supported and there is a standard company induction. What you endured is not acceptable. Onwards and upwards.

You should have a rough indication of how well-matched the payband is, from the job advert. Why do you think they won't match your current salary?

chimichangaz Sun 30-Jun-19 08:01:33

Hi OP - I'm glad you've had a job offer, hoping that the salary is acceptable to you. Maybe you could negotiate an early performance review if it's not quite what you're after? If not, will you accept it anyway - sounds like getting away from your current role is what you need. Look at your budget and see where you could cut costs - the credit crunch board on here is good with advice.

I'm in a similar position to you - been in a job for just over a year, and I have found it very stressful and not what I expected - different duties have been expected of me than were in the JD, and the final straw is that I am expected to cover one of my managers' maternity leaves with no adjustment to my current duties. It started much as yours did, with no induction or training whatsoever. I have had an interview in the last week and have my fingers and toes crossed, but I am seriously considering just handing my notice in if I'm not successful. I have some savings that could see me through a few months but I would really rather not use them - plus I am worried about getting a decent reference, and finding another job when I have walked away from this one. It's such a difficult position to be in, so I am really glad you have been able to secure another post!

HippoSeahorse1 Sun 30-Jun-19 09:35:41

Thanks Daisy chain. The paybracket for the role I am in extends above what I am currently on, and as I have experience above that banding in the recent past, I am hoping go make a case, but the NHS can be weird about these things!

Thanks for the reassurance. I've really done a lot of soul searching about this as your confidence does wobble, but I don't think it is me really. I wish employers would think about the impact on people's lives when they do business in this way. Thanks for your kind words.

maxelly Sun 30-Jun-19 23:39:08

Hello, sorry for being slow to come back to you! Brilliant news about the job offer, well done!

NHS pay works quite differently to the private sector - you start at a defined point on the scale, usually the minimum but it is possible to start at a higher point. You then go up one point on the scale per year subject to satisfactory performance. Scales can be found here . Make sure you include Higher Cost Area allowance if you're in London or a fringe area, and any shift or unsocial hours allowances you'll get as well.

There is no scope to move up a point earlier than a year or more than one point at a time no matter how good your performance. So there's no point accepting the minimum/less than you want and hoping to move up quicker through good performance, that's just not how it works (on the plus side the incremental raises are actually quite generous and virtually guaranteed yearly).

As to how to negotiate, I would gather evidence not only of your current salary (ie payslips/contracts) but also what a reasonable market rate for your kind of role is (so other job adverts etc). Don't let them tell you it's 'not allowed under AFC' or 'AFC says everyone has to start on the minimum' as this is definitely not true. Some trusts have individual policies that all new starters have to start on the minimum, many hospitals in particular are completely cash strapped and need to save money wherever they can which is fair enough, but this isn't the same as it not being allowed at all in the whole NHS, although some people do seem under the impression this is the case. Your line manager might need to make a case to HR for you being an exception. But there is certainly no harm in asking, particularly if your role is quite unusual or sought after, now is the time when you have the most leverage after all. Don't be afraid to be a bit pushy, don't undervalue yourself!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in