Talk

Advanced search

Really bad day

(7 Posts)
Minkies11 Mon 24-Jun-19 17:37:08

Bit ashamed about posting but I'm struggling with work atm. I'm a contractor in finance and things have starting to go wrong at work. I've been there 6 months and we have lost some staff recently and I'm struggling with the workload. A fellow contractor I work closely with is leaving soon and the atmosphere has become quite vicious surrounding him. He has worked so hard with zero support and management have dropped the ball regarding his renewal so he's off. I've been privy to some nasty meetings about him and feel compromised as I am a contractor and would love to leave too but am scared of handing my notice in! I have never quit a contract and do take pride in my work but it so difficult. I am exhausted when I get home and feel sick with nerves on a Sunday. I think I get about 3 hours sleep a night and commute 3 hours a day. Any advice welcome - maybe I just need to toughen up but never had such a toxic situation this bad before sad

OP’s posts: |
Chewbecca Mon 24-Jun-19 17:39:47

The major benefit of contracting is that you don't have to put up with bad working conditions. I suggest you start looking for a new contract today and planning your own exit.

Minkies11 Mon 24-Jun-19 17:44:55

Chewbacca - totally agree. I would be leaving them in serious trouble if I left as no one to cover my work and it is quite niche. I always thought I could maintain a degree of independence as a contractor but am finding the decision really hard to make for some reason. I've had shitty contracts before and been fine.
And a have a fairly long notice period as well which is difficult.

dimsum123 Tue 02-Jul-19 16:44:50

Just look for something else and hand in your notice once you have a suitable offer. Simple.

AuditAngel Tue 02-Jul-19 16:53:16

If they have a contractor performing such a niche role, that shows they either don’t understand it, or don’t value your role.

I was very unhappy in a previous role, and felt how you describe, I swore I would never let myself get like that again.

I am currently unhappy, but not that much. I have made my feelings VERY CLEAR and said I am not putting up with the status quo indefinitely. I have an internal move offered to me, and yesterday my former line manager (I took an internal move 5 years ago but still sit in the same office as previously) said talk to him if I wanted my old role back

OliviaBenson Tue 02-Jul-19 17:02:13

If you are a contractor why do you have a notice period? Sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it.

If you can source new work, get the hell out of there!

Minkies11 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:28:19

Olivia - putting action plan together you are right.
I'm fairly thick skinned but this place is like a zoo. And trying to sneak a 3 month notice clause in my contract should have had me running for the hillsI did swear never to get so wound up overy work after a rough couple of years but this one has snuck up on me.
Time to move on!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in