Talk

Advanced search

Leaving work to move to new city - looking for advice

(2 Posts)
HannahBee92 Mon 17-Jun-19 10:09:35

I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with my first and looking to move back to my hometown (permanently) with my partner to be with family before the birth. We are basically starting our lives over fresh as we are not happy where we are now, and neither of us has any friends or family close by. We are pretty miserable where we are now to be honest.

My due date is 10/12/19 and so the qualifying week for SMP is the last week in August. I currently work full time and have done for around 18 months now.

I really hate my job, and so does my partner, so we can't wait to move, and want to leave asap once my partner has secured a job in the new town and I've hit the requirement for the qualifying week to get SMP.

We will be living with my parents for a while when we move so will be pretty much rent/bills free to make up for the loss of my wage. I also have a decent amount in savings as an emergency fund.

A couple of questions:

1. Am I okay to hand my notice in start of August ready to leave in the qualifying week end of Aug, or is that risky? I work in the public sector so notice periods are fairly standard. Mine is 4 weeks.

2. Would it be a terrible idea to leave earlier than my qualifying week and only be able to claim MA rather than SMP? (can you tell we are desperate to leave?)

I don't plan to return to the same career after the birth, and will be looking at working more flexibly/ being self-employed.

If anyone has been in a similar position I would love to know how it went for you, any lessons learnt, anything you wish you'd done differently etc.

TIA smile

OP’s posts: |
stucknoue Mon 17-Jun-19 10:28:29

I'm pretty sure that you can tell them you are leaving on the qualifying day four weeks ahead but check with hr, so few people take early maternity leave they may need to check.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in