Talk

Advanced search

Worry about my employer's reaction when I leave

(13 Posts)
pabm9 Mon 10-Jun-19 01:43:21

Hi,

I found a new and well paid job and I'll start on 24 th June. However, in the past, my current employer used to retaliate by discounting from monthly salaries the costs of phones, branded coats and branded folders given to employees. So by the last working day of the month leaving employees received an incomplete salary, even when they lawfully returned these goods to my current employer (The excuse of my current employer "We did not receive anything from you by post").

I of course will return all the tools they gave me (phone, coat, folder), however I really doubt they will pay me my complete monthly salary (1st - 22nd June) by the 28th of June if I tell them I'll leave the 22nd of June.

I work home/field based, no office work.

What should I do?

Should I start my new job without telling my current employer I'm leaving and do so when my salary is finally safe in my account the 28th of June? I'm a bit desperate as I really need every pound of my current salary/job.

OP’s posts: |
EBearhug Mon 10-Jun-19 02:14:15

Don't you have to give notice? Are you planning to just walk out? If they deduct money for coats etc, I would expect them to not pay in lieu of notice.

You'll have to tell them you're leaving to get a P45.

AlwaysCheddar Mon 10-Jun-19 05:47:26

Can you not hand things in to the office in person? Don’t you have to give notice? Get advice from ACAS.

GemmeFatale Mon 10-Jun-19 05:59:09

Surely you simply post it signed for in that case?

If you know they’re likely to try this on I’d take steps to manage it now. Can you manage financially if you get the money but late? How much are they likely to short you?

RoomR0613 Mon 10-Jun-19 06:02:19

I presume they will notice you aren't there before the 28th if you start your new job on the 24th?

Just get them to sign for every item you return when you give notice. Get it witnessed.

Give your notice ASAP. Even if you only have to give a week you are running out of time.

WhiteDust Mon 10-Jun-19 06:54:53

If you don't have to give notice do this :
* Should I start my new job without telling my current employer I'm leaving and do so when my salary is finally safe in my account the 28th of June? I'm a bit desperate as I really need every pound of my current salary/job.*

AJPTaylor Mon 10-Jun-19 07:00:38

What does the contract say?
Surely sending stuff by signed for delivery gets over the whole issue of stuff not turning up?
Be ballsy. Tell them the date you are leaving. Ask them how and when they want you to send the stuff back to ensure you get full pay?

JaneEyreAgain Mon 10-Jun-19 07:12:52

What does your contract say?

Is there a leaving process which defines what deductions are legitimately made?

You cannot start a new job, 4 days before telling your existing employer that you plan to leave. What is your notice period?

You need your P45 and presumably will need a reference at some stage.

Is there a HR / Payroll function you can speak to who can inform you of the process to get your work tools returned correctly to avoid this being deducted from your final salary? You need to get this handover signed and witnessed.

What about your line management? Can you speak to them?

If you genuinely believe you will be left short, if you tell them you are leaving, do you think they will sue you for leaving without notice and for time.paid not worked if you are paid up until 28th but have only worked until 22nd.

Will you need a reference in future?

pabm9 Tue 11-Jun-19 23:53:21

Hi!

Thanks for your answers.

I forgot to mention this is a complete toxic and mismanaged company.

According to my contract I have one week notice. I can be honest, keep tied to my contract and give them notice one week before 22nd June, but unfortunately they won't do the same. They'll try to cheat on me.

On my original post I said I work home based, I do not go to an office, so I think there might be an escape route between the 24th and 28th of June.

No, I am not interested in getting a reference from this employer, these past 2 months have been a complete hell working for them. I don't even think I'll put this work experience on my CV to be honest.

Regarding the stuff they gave me, former colleagues sent the items back via tracked/signed post but in spite of that Head Office stated it didn't receive anything, hence former colleagues were charged and their salary payment reduced unfairly.

HR Department of this company is completely useless, they do not answer neither emails nor phone calls. If they do this to me being a current employee, it'll be worse when I leave.

GemmeFatale Wed 12-Jun-19 09:21:02

If it’s sigbed for and they claim they didn’t receive it you can take them to small claims court. There is a cost but you can add that to the claim.

JaneEyreAgain Wed 12-Jun-19 10:49:11

They sounds like a truly awful company to work for. You are in a very difficult position. knowing that they hold the power and you would have to take them to small claims court to get the money back which would be stressful and put you in a position where you are out of pocket.

Is there any chance that you could delay your start date until 1 July and then simply not work your notice?

pabm9 Wed 12-Jun-19 11:54:16

Thanks again for your answers!
As I work home based and don't need to go to an office, I am seriously thinking on disappear from their trackers for that week (24th to 28th of June) and then go live the 29th.
Staff did this in the past and they still work for my company.
What do you think?

fairweathercyclist Wed 12-Jun-19 14:20:34

Can you really not start the new job a week later?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in