Talk

Advanced search

When is best time to negotiate job offer?

(5 Posts)
Jackyjill6 Tue 04-Jun-19 15:58:32

I have been offered a full time job, but realise the morning commute is going to be more difficult than anticipated. I am not sure whether I should ask for a reduction in hours to allow for the journey before I accept the job.
Also is it best to email the interviewer, so he can consider his response, or should I ring?

OP’s posts: |
BritInUS1 Tue 04-Jun-19 16:04:47

I would be pretty annoyed if you applied for a full time job, we offered it to you and then you asked for a reduction in hours. Why did you not look in to this before you accepted?

I would email them, but I wouldn't expect a positive reply

Jackyjill6 Tue 04-Jun-19 16:21:55

Thanks for your repIy, it's useful to hear it from your side. I haven't actually accepted the job yet.

OllyBJolly Wed 05-Jun-19 12:57:10

The best time to negotiate Ts and Cs is when you have the formal offer. It's not that unusual for people to get a job offer and put a case for improved salary, flexible hours, funding for training. They don't always get it, but at the stage where you're the candidate of choice, you're in the strongest position. Recruitment is a distracting, time consuming process. No one wants to go back to square one.

Best way to do it is face to face. Ask for the meeting, saying you want to discuss a few points. Begin by saying how pleased you are that you have the offer, you really want to work there, but the commute will make things difficult. You don't want to let them down being late, so can you have a later start time? You might get a yes right away, or you might have to "give" something - salary reduction/work later/shorter lunchtime/an hour or so from home every night. A lot will depend on job role, company culture etc.

Best of luck and congratulations on the offer.

(HR/line managers are used to this. Yes, it's an irritation but I'd rather amend the Ts and Cs than lose a good candidate).

Jackyjill6 Wed 05-Jun-19 23:37:23

Thank you OllyBJolly, that's a really helpful response.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in