Can my employer do this?

(3 Posts)
Jellymum16 Sun 02-Jun-19 22:38:06

Looking for advice before HR meeting, my employer (very big FTSE 500 company) asked me to take on an additional team with a very small payrise.
Turns out this team needs extra managing, the role keeps expanding and they keep finding new projects for me to be involved in, so much so I didn't have enough time in the day to fulfil all tasks or duties they wanted, 6 months into this after speaking with my line managers they asked me to step away from my original team for 3 months to focus on the other team.
Now it seems my original role has gone, no longer there/needed although the team have taken on some more work and haven't dropped anything from when I was overseeing.....it's being looked after now by my manager, just almagated into part of their duties.
Now here's the thing, I absolutely hate the new team and tasks, its mind numbingly boring and nothing that I want to pursue as a career, not what was fed to me when they asked me to take this on.
Am I within my rights to ask to step away from this and slip back into just my old role, there's been no formal "redundancy" of the role its just disappeared?

OP’s posts: |
Manclife1 Sun 02-Jun-19 22:42:15

Of course they can, roles come and go all the time in large companies without there being redundancies. What if the role was still there but now filled by someone else?

flowery Sun 02-Jun-19 22:43:56

Was there anything in writing about your new role being a temporary thing or a trial?

You can certainly ask, but unless the change was a temporary or trial one, you don’t have the right to insist.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in