Talk

Advanced search

Should I apply for this job and how do I word this situation to the potential new employer?

(8 Posts)
Whatthehell2019 Sat 01-Jun-19 21:50:41

Hi all
Currently I work 28 hours a week in a job which I have to commute to - almost 2 hours each way.

I only started this job in November and I was definitely naive about the travel etc.

I have 5 children between the ages of 3 and 15.

I'm exhausted and feel that I am not making a success of anything either at work or at home cos my feet don't touch the floor.

I have just been offered a job with a family member which is ideal and actually a great career move. However, it's only 12 hours a week (but working from home). I am going to start it in September.

However, I would need another job financially. This evening I have just seen another WFH job that is 18 hours a week and fits my skills, career and qualifications perfectly. However, I will have to obviously give my current employer as a reference and I have only been there since November which I'm sure doesn't look great.....
I also had major surgery and was off work for 2 weeks but that can't be helped. That's the only sick leave I've genuinely had in the last 6 years anywhere.

So on my application should I just put a simple statement that with my family commitments etc I am finding the long commute too much and saw this post which would be ideal (for me and also the company as I match what they're after).

Help please!

OP’s posts: |
forgotMyusernameAgain Sat 01-Jun-19 21:59:12

Just thank them for the opportunity and tender your resignation. If you have an exit interview just say your new job is a good career move for you. You dont need to give personal info

Whatthehell2019 Sat 01-Jun-19 22:03:34

@forgotMyusernameAgain Sorry I was actually meaning should I say anything on my application about why I am looking for a new job after such a short time at current job?

OP’s posts: |
SusieSusieSoo Sat 01-Jun-19 22:12:27

I'd be honest & explain the commute was much harder than you'd anticipated & isn't working for you/family. I might even go as far as to say it's so hard that it's regrettably meant you've performed ok in your role but not been able to excel as you normally would or something along those lines good luck xx

alostpainting Sat 01-Jun-19 23:06:31

I wouldn’t say anything directly about it, just concentrate on why the job is so great for you / you’re so great for the job. If they ask you about it at interview, concentrate on the positives, draw attention to your previous employment record and longevity, and say that this new job is so ideal you couldn’t not apply. You can mention the commute then if you like, but focus on why you’re great for the new job above all

RidgedPerfection Sun 02-Jun-19 06:02:59

Agree with above; focus on why the new role is so good for you, otherwise you risk it sounding as if you're only applying for other roles as you want to escape what is wrong with your current one rather than really wanting to work for the new employer on their own merits.

Bluntness100 Sun 02-Jun-19 06:24:54

Don't mention it. And if you get to interview just say a four hour commute was too much. Don't go into having five kids. Because they will think with five kids you won't be actually working from home, you
Will be caring for the kids first and foremost.

If it asks on the application why you wish to leave your current place, then simply say as much as you love it the four hour commute is too much and the proposed role suits your skill set perfectly.

Bluebluered Sun 02-Jun-19 09:54:05

Never mention how the role will suit you. Always mention what qualities you’ll bring to the role and what you can do for them, as they won’t care if it makes your life easier. They want someone to fill a gap with the correct selection criteria, not to cut someone’s commute time or help with childcare responsibilities as it’s a wfh job they’ll probably get loads of applications.

I would just say you have the correct skills for the job, are motivated, excited by the role. Describe which skills you’ll transfer from your current role to this one and what you’ve learnt in your time there. Keep it strictly about the job.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in