Mid life crisis career change

(13 Posts)
Scarlett555 Tue 28-May-19 11:36:46

I have realised I need to change my career so I can actually spend time with my DC before they grow up and leave home. Therefore I need to find a job that meets the following criteria:

- Term time only
- At least 30k (ideally £40k+)

I don't have a teaching qualification, so are there other jobs out there I could apply for or work towards that meets the above?

I have:
- A psychology degree
- A marketing diploma
- 10+ years experience in senior marketing management roles
- Copywriting and web development skills

If you work term time only and earn at least 30k please can you share what you do?

I am not averse to doing a PGCE and becoming a teacher but I would like to know if there are other options.

OP’s posts: |
Scarlett555 Tue 28-May-19 16:09:35

Anyone? Thought it might be a tall order...

OP’s posts: |
stressedoutpa Tue 28-May-19 21:15:14

Unless you draw on your current career, you will be very lucky to find something part time that pays £40k off the bat.

Most women achieve that salary by doing a deal with an employer they are already employed with.

I would say any job that is term time is going to be something to do with a school or children.

BlitzenandMikey Tue 28-May-19 21:22:26

Lecturing? Teaching won’t pay that in the first instance I wouldnt have thought? I would be looking to negotiate a deal with your existing employer, for that salary. Failing that, something in a school, college or university; then perhaps returning to your previous career once the children have left home?

BlitzenandMikey Tue 28-May-19 21:22:57

Educational psychologist?

CostanzaG Tue 28-May-19 21:28:10

If you're willing to go back to uni you could train as a careers adviser.... although you'd either have to settle for a lower salary to work in a school or get lots of work experience and go for a university role. Although most of them aren't term time only but I've seen some advertised .

However, a pro rata, term time only salary won't come close to £30k

CallMeRachel Tue 28-May-19 21:33:17

Look up Civil Service jobs. You can often enter now on a HO grade and progression can be quick if your driven.

They offer flexible working patterns including term time only.

ginyogarepeat Tue 28-May-19 21:41:56

@BlitzenandMikey as a university worker - neither support or academic roles are term time, unfortunately as summer is still a very busy time for us. Yes, academics won't be teaching over the summer but they will be marking, doing research, prep for following year.....it never ends! I've worked in a large university for more than 10 years and don't know any term time workers. If there are any they certainly aren't academic staff!

BlitzenandMikey Tue 28-May-19 22:19:20

@giny. Okay, point taken! I was just trying to think what there might be within education that may bring in the salary OP is aiming for. University work is out then,

Retraining as a counsellor or psychologist with the aim of being self employed! Civil service is a good bet ( if you can pass all the competency tests!)

Blankiefan Wed 29-May-19 06:21:04

Coupd you freelance with your copywriting / web design skills but only accept work in term time? No idea what you could make from this tho...

NeatFreakMama Wed 29-May-19 06:30:14

Can you use your current marketing skills to open your own marketing business from home and hire a graduate so that during school holidays it keeps moving with minimal expenditure? That way you'll keep your earnings up too hopefully.

BobbinThreadbare123 Wed 29-May-19 06:32:03

Teaching is not family friendly, it's not really just term time (lots of prep in hols) and starting salary is under £25k, unless maybe you're a physics teacher who targets their area very carefully.

swingofthings Wed 29-May-19 17:33:00

Teaching would mean a year without an income to study and you don't seem to have the degrees to teach subject that would warrant a grant. Salary also starts at under £25k so it's a question of whether you could wait a few years before getting to £30k.

To be an educational psychologist, you would need a PhD.

It's not only education that offers term time, it's not uncommon for public sector jobs to be term time if requested. I 5hink it is actually a tick box on nhs applications so they would know shortlisting you that this is what you are looking for. No harm looking at nhs/Council jobs and give them a try.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in