Any interviewers? What shall I wear?

(12 Posts)
Jackyjill6 Sun 19-May-19 10:07:33

I have an interview this week at a place where the day to day culture is for smart casual wear.

I am never sure whether interviews demand more formal wear, but I don't possess a suit anyway. What would be appropriate?

OP’s posts: |
cleanhousewastedlife Sun 19-May-19 10:50:24

Do you have a jacket? You could wear that. But clean / ironed / something that makes you feel like a good version of you would be a good place to start. Dress for confidence. I don't have a suit but I'll wear trousers, nice top, black jacket or a dress with a jacket (or to be fair in May my wool blazer would be overkill) and hope that smiling and looking comfortable will make up for any lack of matchy matchy. I work in higher ed. Good luck for the interview.

palahvah Sun 19-May-19 10:53:28

Yes, I would always be a bit smarter for an interview. A jacket is a good start. Do you have a jacket and dress that work together, or a blazer and trousers?
Smart casual is a really wide range - what kind of industry is it?

SmallAndFarAway Sun 19-May-19 10:59:13

I'd still dress in the female equivalent of a suit - you're on an interview, you don't work there (yet!). Do you have a dress and a jacket you could wear? I interview people and too formal is not an issue as long as it's not black tie, whereas too casual isn't a great look. It mightn't affect the outcome, but great candidates tend to dress appropriately (i.e. in a suit) - if your field is very casual it might be different, but I assume not from the OP.

BogglesGoggles Sun 19-May-19 11:05:18

As a rule always dress smarter for an interview than you would for day to day work.

daisychain01 Sun 19-May-19 11:07:26

I would recommend always having an interview suit as a staple in your wardrobe- it takes all the thinking out of what to wear. M&S do some really nice and affordable suits for around £44 total. Then you just Team it with a white/ cream blouse in winter or shortsleeved top in summer.

www.marksandspencer.com/checked-blazer-and-a-line-mini-skirt-suit-set/p/dsd4bf50cb6229880a9ac4c4de21f90cdb?prevPage=srp

Always dress smartly, even for a casual culture. It gives you confidence and makes you feel the part. You're there to impress, they'd never mark a candidate down for wearing a suit smile

daisychain01 Sun 19-May-19 11:10:28

In the example I've linked to, you could even buy the jacket and wear with a black skirt if you want to limit the cost to £30 then consider buying the matching skirt at a later date.

I've got an interview suit I've had for years and it's good for other uses such as important meetings where you need to dress 'up' a bit more.

GabrielleNelson Sun 19-May-19 11:11:56

Daisy, that suit you've linked to is cheap but I'm afraid in my view it looks it. Classic dress and jacket would be better, or jacket, smartish top, well-fitting trousers that aren't jeans.

HollaHolla Sun 19-May-19 14:53:03

I interview a lot. I’d suggest a dress/trousers and jacket, and that way you could wear them again separately. Always dress more smartly for interviews, even if the dress code is jeans. Good luck!!

Polarbearflavour Sun 19-May-19 15:56:20

I haven’t worn a suit to an interview in over a decade! I normally wear a Hobbs smart dress with nice tights and some low heel court shoes.

Jackyjill6 Sun 19-May-19 16:05:12

Ooh, thank you all for your thoughts, an interesting range of replies. Looks like I'll be shopping for a smarter than usual me!

OP’s posts: |
daisychain01 Sun 19-May-19 21:52:13

Gabrielle, I was just using that suit as an example because I didn't have any idea what the OPs budget is, so if they wanted to spend more on a more expensive suit, then the choice is theirs.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in