Talk

Advanced search

To not come and get me from the toilet,

(8 Posts)
thankyourforthemusic Thu 02-May-19 18:04:31

So today in work I went to the toilet , I was gone a minute or 2 , I was going to get a cold drink from the canteen on my way back that was right next door . I come out of the toilet and my supervisor was coming looking for me to tell me I've a phone call . I was like I'm just getting a drink but she looked at me as if to say now and I was so stunned I followed her back to my desk .
Afterwards I was fuming, surly I can nip to the loo and get a drink and if I get any phone calls they can take a message not come and get me ?
If anyone thinks I do go away from my desk I never do . I don't take smoke breaks , private phone calls are made on my lunch . I literally get up to go to the toilet and get a drink , I do not stop all day .
My colleagues were shocked and said I must complain to my manager .
Does anyone think I'm being unreasonable surly this is too much !!

OP’s posts: |
Tunnockswafer Thu 02-May-19 18:08:00

I would think you only go to the canteen on your break, it would be different if it was an office coffee machine I think but even then if someone is actually waiting for you on the phone you speak to them not go for a drink. Why did he pick it up at all, can you set it straight to answer machine when you’re at the toilet?

Echobelly Thu 02-May-19 18:08:41

Haven't they heard of voicemail...? It's been around a few decades!

JellyBook Thu 02-May-19 18:09:01

Absolutely bring it to your manager’s attention. Perhaps just say you hope it was a one off, but you were stunned to be almost interrupted while making a toilet visit and ask for her or his guidance as to how to deal with anyone else doing it again.

thankyourforthemusic Thu 02-May-19 18:12:40

@Tunnockswafer we literally get a dozen calls a day max on a team of 5 , can go hours sometimes without the phone ringing , and I wasn't expecting a call , it rang while I went to the toilet .
Also she regularly pops for a cold drink as I say it's right next to the toilets .

moosesormeece Thu 02-May-19 18:12:47

Was the phone call desperately urgent, or was it someone calling you back who your supervisor knows you've been trying to get hold of for a while? If not then this does seem a bit odd - people who phone you at work should understand sometimes you need to do a wee and grab a drink!

thankyourforthemusic Thu 02-May-19 18:14:17

No definitely not urgent unless I had said I'm waiting on a urgent call please come and get me .
what's so urgent that can't wait 2 minutes while I go to the toilet? .

Poppyfr33 Fri 03-May-19 10:19:53

We pick up each other’s calls and take messages, also we don’t have set breaks. But strange.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in