Please help!!

(6 Posts)
Jodie2415 Wed 01-May-19 19:46:10

Hi All,

I have recently been in talks with a new employer about an upcoming position with them and it sounds amazing. Totally up my street but I don’t want to look too desperate!

My financial situation means I don’t really have to work but I choose to do so to keep me sane. I didn’t work for a few years and it drove me absolutely insane and I never want to do that again.

I started working again a couple of years ago and absolutely loved what I did but recently my job role has changed and it is no longer fulfilling me. I have been in talks with a new employer and the job sounds perfect for me, it’s really interesting. I’m just unsure as to how I should answer when it comes to salary questions as I would be happy to work for minimum wage no matter what job I was doing as long as it made me happy and I enjoyed going to work.

I don’t want to look desperate if I admitted this to a prospective employer but the money is not a priority for me. Some employers would actually be put off of a candidate if they said that they weren’t money orientated so I am just unsure. Or does it work in my favour?

Help needed!!!!

OP’s posts: |
CheekyFuckersDontGetPastMe Wed 01-May-19 19:51:43

In your place I just wouldn’t mention salary at all.

Eventually they will broach the subject because you haven’t and you could just drop in an “oh yes, how much is the annual salary and what day is your payday”

Jodie2415 Wed 01-May-19 19:56:30

Thankyou for your advice!

That situation would be absolutely perfect but I have had employers ask me in the past what I am wanting, I just hope it doesn’t come to that.

Fingers crossed!!

OP’s posts: |
CheekyFuckersDontGetPastMe Wed 01-May-19 21:06:46

Then “I’m happy with the same banding/salary as others in the same role”

Bright and breezy. Can’t remember how many people I’ve interviewed and I’ve never asked what they want to be paid so I’d keep it very much as the ball is in their court.

Good luck

flowery Thu 02-May-19 07:10:42

Make sure you are fully informed- do some research about salaries for similar posts in your local-ish area through job sites etc so you know a rough ballpark.

Bluntness100 Thu 02-May-19 07:16:47

Just say I will be happy with your judgement on the banding for the role, and leave it there,

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in