Feeling broken.

(5 Posts)
bordellosboheme Tue 30-Apr-19 14:40:17

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the parenting or work section. I'm basically burned out and my body is screaming exhausted at me. I've done my back in and have no energy at all. I have been lone parenting a 3 year old and 7 year old for a year after a break down of a relationship. 18 months ago I took on a full time role that involves a lot of leadership and management in a competitive sector.

I think adrenaline has got me through the last 18 months but I've recently felt exhausted to the point I'm finding it hard to get my work done. I've googled burn out and have lots of the symptoms but have no other option than to keep going as I'm the sole financial provider for the children and am currently paying mortgage and all bills and living costs... I have very very limited help and contacts.

I've also had to recently implement a lot of changes at work which are unpopular at work, but necessary. This means I feel effectively alienated from a lot of people at work, who resent the changes.

I feel pretty alone with all this but mostly utterly exhausted and broken. I could really do with getting off the hamster wheel but I have no idea how I would survive financially.

OP’s posts: |
Strawberry72 Tue 30-Apr-19 17:21:30

I hear you. Same here although I still have a husband at home (not that he helps).
Is there another sector you can move into? Is the dad contributing to the mortgage?

bordellosboheme Tue 30-Apr-19 17:49:42

Sorry to hear your husband doesn't help.its almost as bad as no husband isn't it. Exh doesn't help with any costs. His financial tightness was one of the reasons we split.

OP’s posts: |
Imogen24 Wed 01-May-19 23:08:47

How difficult and stressful for you. Is there a way in which you could take time out? Your GP signing you off for two or more weeks? It's your right. Does work have an Occ Health department that could support you in any way?

Your health is of paramount importance for you and for your children.

Is there any possibility of using your skills in another setting, one that's calmer and less confrontational?

PumpkinHead1980 Sun 05-May-19 12:42:17

I was once in this position..
Be realistic - think what you really want, a career that has high income but lots of stress or lower income but less stress and responsibility.
write down all your outgoings and work out what you actually need to live on - theres a site that tells you what you may be entitled to as well re govt credit etc. See what you can get on a lower salary.
Too much stress will affect your health and your home life it's not worth it
Good luck smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in