Getting time off for interview

(16 Posts)
PolkadotsAndCandyfloss Sun 28-Apr-19 14:35:32

Hello everyone smile

Just wondered what people usually do when they need time off for an interview with another employer? Do you normally say you have an appointment and make time up, or take annual leave or something else? I’ve got an interview and I always hate this part of sneaking around; it makes me feel really anxious!

The interview is scheduled for 3pm and I need time to get there as it’s in another location, so might need to take a half day of leave, or else say I have an appointment, ask to work from home that day and make time up.

Just wondering what other people’s approach is really. I wish more employers would interview outside of core hours, as I hate the dishonesty!

OP’s posts: |
sackrifice Sun 28-Apr-19 14:36:49

Sorry what is the problem with taking a days leave?

Tumilnaughts Sun 28-Apr-19 14:49:41

I usually say I've got a meeting (not entirely untrue) and just leave the office for the time it takes me to get to said meeting and such. Works in my industry but I can see how it wouldn't work for a lot of jobs.

Twickerhun Sun 28-Apr-19 14:57:13

I take annual leave.

If people pop out dressed in their finest suits and come back later in the day we all know what they’ve been up to.

PolkadotsAndCandyfloss Sun 28-Apr-19 14:57:42

Nothing wrong with it Sackrifice, I was just wondering what other people normally do. Having a half day off may be my best option in this case as I wouldn’t be able to squeeze it into a lunch break or anything with it being in a different town. I was just curious as to what the ‘norm’ is.

I don’t get a lot of leave so I wouldn’t be able to do a lot of job hunting if I needed to take leave for every interview but I do tend to be very selective and this job is really a bit of a one-off opportunity.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Tumilnaughts.

daisychain01 Sun 28-Apr-19 15:00:29

I've only ever booked and taken annual leave for interviews. It's honest, official and it's your legal right to take time off provided it's approved.

Not being truthful, when the alternative is official leave with no need to tell porkies means you can go into the interview with a clear head.

jackstini Sun 28-Apr-19 15:03:22

Do you have specific hours when you work from home?

If not, do that but make sure you make the time up

PolkadotsAndCandyfloss Sun 28-Apr-19 15:04:19

Thanks Twickerhun and Daisychain. Yes, annual leave does seem like the most honest (and less stressful) option. As with most interviews it’s fairly last minute but it won’t impact on my work much and we don’t have anything important scheduled for that day.

Thanks guys

BikeRunSki Sun 28-Apr-19 15:06:15

Annual leave

RussellSprout Sun 28-Apr-19 16:16:43

I work in the type of roles where I'm field based, with a head office usually in London or another far away city. So it's not really possible to just make an interview at the end of the day or say it's a doctor appointment.
I have in the past taken annual leave, blaming it on childcare.

I think if you go for more than 2 or 3 interviews in a short space of time, most employers will get suspicious whatever you say.

PolkadotsAndCandyfloss Sun 28-Apr-19 16:27:03

Jackstini, yeah I work from home regularly so there is a bit of flexibility (or to take half day leave and work from home in the morning).

Yeah RussellSprout I’m not applying for lots, it’s a bit of a one-off really and the type of opportunity that isn’t likely to come up again, so worth a shot hopefully.

Thanks all

sackrifice Sun 28-Apr-19 17:10:53

I have in the past taken annual leave, blaming it on childcare.

Why do you have to blame annual leave on childcare? You are entitled to annual leave.

havingtochangeusernameagain Mon 29-Apr-19 11:09:22

Sometimes you can't take AL at short notice so you have to use something like childcare as an excuse. My previous boss said that all leave had to be approved at least 2 weeks in advance which would have been hard for interviews that you couldn't squeeze into a lunchbreak unless employers were willing to wait to see you.

RussellSprout Mon 29-Apr-19 21:33:48

To justify taking it at short notice sakrifice. Otherwise it's too suspicious

123rd Mon 29-Apr-19 21:37:00

I actually told my line manager that I had an interview ! ( but I did use it as a bit of a threat tho!)

sackrifice Mon 29-Apr-19 22:55:30

To justify taking it at short notice sakrifice. Otherwise it's too suspicious

It's not justification if it is a lie is it? I wonder what women without kids do? Oh yeah I know - we just take a day's leave like a normal person.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in