Advice on notice period please!!

(3 Posts)
Kathandkim1 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:09:02

After trying my hardest to make things work, I have handed in my notice. I work for an NHS trust and in the contract it states 8 weeks notice. My question is..... As I have less than 6 months employment with the trust can an 8 week notice period be enforced? I'm wondering if anyone has successfully left with less than 8 weeks notice or have you been penalised in any way? Thanks for any advice you can give ❤️

OP’s posts: |
flowery Tue 19-Mar-19 15:36:08

The length of your employment is irrelevant in terms of enforceability- if that’s your contractual notice period then that’s your contractual notice period and you’d be in breach of contract if you walk out any earlier.

In terms of practical enforcement, obviously they can’t force you to attend work. In some positions they could take legal action against you for breach of contract, if they have incurred financial loss as a result of your breach. In most cases this isn’t worth the employer’s while.

In realistic terms, the biggest issue for employees in your position is that if you walk out without serving your full notice, you obviously wave goodbye to a good reference.

Heartlake Tue 19-Mar-19 21:40:25

What Flowery said!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in