Would you say they're being unreasonable?

(18 Posts)
backmassageplease Mon 18-Mar-19 19:47:50

I applied for a position on Boxing Day last year. I got an invite to interview 6 weeks later.

I went to the interview (a further week and a bit from finding out I was getting interviewed).

They said they were calling the following week. They didn't call on the day they said they'd call, so I called their recruitment line for an update before the end of office hours that day blush (I know, bit keen on my part).

The woman who interviewed me then phoned to say she'd heard I'd asked for an update - She then said they were really happy with my answers, thought I was the favourite candidate due to previous experience skill set, and said they wanted to invite me along to an induction hour. So I agreed happily. The induction hour days as scheduled for 3 weeks after then!

I completed the 'induction hour' on Friday (it lasted the entire afternoon, not just one hour), and was told I'd know Monday if I got the job or not. It's between me and two others who'd come before.

Well, today has come and gone sad I'm none the wiser. And still know nothing.

Would I be a bit pushy to call Wednesday for an update if I hear nothing tomorrow?

I really want this job, I'd love it. But it's been over 3 months now since I applied. I will feel so sad if I don't get it - All this time and hope for nothing.

Are they not being a bit cheeky?

OP’s posts: |
Singlenotsingle Mon 18-Mar-19 19:51:56

Yes they are. I'd ring them on Wednesday if it was me. If you've had an induction day (hour, afternoon or whatever) you'd think the job was yours. Did they just forget to send your offer letter out?

backmassageplease Mon 18-Mar-19 19:57:01

Single The induction hour was to see if I really liked the job. I won't bore with specifics but it's because some people are surprised by what the job actually entails etc.

They were then deciding from that induction hour afternoon.

However, I'm not really sure how. Since there was nothing for them to assess me on. It consisted of being shown around, introduced to everyone, meeting some people to show me some procedures, and finally a quick show of how one of their company systems work.

That was it.

Nothing to assess me or anyone else on, so I'm not sure how they're making their decision based on that.

I know the job wasn't mine, anyway.

Doyoumind Mon 18-Mar-19 20:00:08

I'm not saying this is the case but if they decided to offer to one of the other candidates they wouldn't let you know until they knew if the other person accepted or not.

backmassageplease Mon 18-Mar-19 20:04:19

Doyoumind I know sad It's a shame.

I'd be so confused though - I was told when asked to come for that induction these very words "To be honest with you, you're the favourite due to your skill set. We do the induction hour because some people start these roles and don't like what they've actually got themselves into"

If someone got it over me, it would mean they performed better on their induction hour - Where there was 0 to be judged on or tested. The only possibly thing I can think of is the meeting with a client. I was told to go in and observe. I'm worried the other candidate might've spoken up, the client took well to it and therefore that candidate came across better... Even though it was just observing that I personally had to do.

Doyoumind Mon 18-Mar-19 21:12:36

It's not always about skills and experience. It can come down to chemistry. Just because you didn't hear today doesn't tell you the answer. There's no point beating yourself up about it because you can't know the outcome until they tell you.

backmassageplease Thu 21-Mar-19 22:25:12

Still absolutely nothing sad

maxelly Fri 22-Mar-19 00:33:13

How frustrating, what a very strange way to recruit. How do they test that people really do have the skills/experience/knowledge they claim on their CV if they don't interview them or do any further assessment? I guess like others say they are deciding based on some nebulous 'best fit for the team' feeling, or perhaps they're just massively indecisive, who knows? But then why say that to you about being the best fit for the role if they were just going to dick around? Really annoying for you.

It does remind me a bit of a manager I knew many years ago whose interview technique consisted entirely of asking a series of leading yes/no questions (e.g. you know to use a photocopier don't you? yes, good... I'm sure you're good at taking minutes aren't you? excellent), she would then make a decision entirely based on who 'gave her a good feeling' (how she could decide this I don't know since everyone pretty much sat throughout their interview nodding and smiling at her), and if she couldn't decide she'd offer it to the candidate who lived nearest to the office confused ... unsurprisingly her hiring decisions did not always work out very well!

swingofthings Fri 22-Mar-19 09:30:53

Where there was 0 to be judged on or tested
There was. You mentioned the client but also that you were introduced to the team. It sounds like the afternoon was about getting their feedback on who they thought they'd worked best with. It's not an unusual thing to do although normally done brfore/after an interview rathercrhsn calling back candidates.

I agree that it is likely they offered the job to one of the other two but waiting for comfirnstion that they want it amd/or possibly waiting to get their references.

backmassageplease Fri 22-Mar-19 10:14:29

max That manager of yours sounded like my ex boss grin He didn't ask me much at all, just a few yes or no answers - And then spent the entire interview telling me how fantastic he was and his business, etc etc

backmassageplease Fri 22-Mar-19 10:16:53

If they did offer the job to one of the other two, is it usual to leave the unsuccessful person(s) dangling away until they finally get a reference/accept the job? angry

That just seems very cheeky. I've interviewed in my last position and we let the other candidates know straight after our person had accepted. We didn't wait for references, that takes time and it's just unprofessional to leave someone waiting when you've specified when you'd be calling, isn't it?

Isleepinahedgefund Fri 22-Mar-19 10:40:16

To wait that long is cheeky yes. I understand hedging your bets but waiting until you have references is a bit much!

We run reserve lists so if the top scorer doesn't accept or fails references it's then offered to the next highest, but the candidates know where they stand at all stages.

backmassageplease Fri 22-Mar-19 10:48:53

I phoned them Wednesday (their recruitment office since you cannot contact their office where I would be working/where I was interviewed), and they phoned that office.

The manager was on training, and would be back on Thursday, I was told.

But I never heard anything Thursday. So fingers crossed I hear today. If not, she said to ring again Friday afternoon (so today), and they'll take it from there.

backmassageplease Sat 23-Mar-19 20:48:49

I got the job grinstar

QueenEnid Sun 24-Mar-19 07:48:55

Well done @backmassageplease !!

maxelly Mon 25-Mar-19 10:56:15

Great news - congratulations!

Knittedfairies Mon 25-Mar-19 10:59:35

Well done!

ThisIsNotMyRealName1 Wed 27-Mar-19 03:18:29

oh yay! smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in