Time off sick and new job

(3 Posts)
downandnearlyout Wed 13-Mar-19 12:40:51

I've namechanged because I think some of my colleagues know I'm on here.

I have just over 3 weeks of my notice left to work in my current job. I have a new job which I'm starting in 5 weeks' time. I am really struggling to keep going in my current job. I know I'm very stressed and I think I may be suffering from depression too but I haven't seen a doctor yet. I think if I see my doctor, they will almost certainly sign me off sick, which probably would be a good thing for my health, but I do worry and feel guilty about those who will inevitably have to pick up my workload.

I'm worried if this will impact my new job at all. All my references are already in and all pre-employment checks have been carried out. If the doctor signs me off now, will my new employer be told?

The job change has been in part because of the way my current job has been affecting my health, although I have had no time off sick, and the new role will mean a change in workplace and workload so I will definitely be fit to work by my start date. I just don't want to start a new job with any prejudice due to time off sick but I'm not sure I can keep going right now.

OP’s posts: |
RussellSprout Wed 13-Mar-19 13:53:45

If your references have already been checked then I very much doubt the new employer would find out about any further absences.

Loads of people go off sick in their notice period. some employers won't pay any company sick pay in this situation so I'd check that out if you are dependent on your salary.

Isleepinahedgefund Wed 13-Mar-19 14:09:23

Unless they really are very mean they won't care/tell your new employer. As PP said, some companies won't pay enhanced sick pay if you go sick in your notice period though.

I think you should go an see your doctor and see what they say.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in