Talk

Advanced search

Maternity pay?

(7 Posts)
Lozzy25 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:22:02

Me and my DP are getting married in June and would like to start ttc from then. The job that I am currently in would mean I qualify for maternity pay (only the one that means I get full pay for a few weeks and then it gradually drops) however I'm really not happy in my current job and wouldn't mind looking for something else.
How long do you have to be with a company before you get basic maternity pay? I'm finding it all very confusing 🤷‍♀️

OP’s posts: |
Myboy07 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:30:10

The company I work for you have to work for them for 6 months before you can get MP. Think that's standard but not sure

Myboy07 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:32:28

And that's for 6 weeks at 90% wage then weeks 7-12 at 50% then just standard at just over £145 per week for the rest

Mintypea5 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:35:01

It my work you have to have been there for 52 weeks of consecutive service before your 15th week of pregnancy I think.

Honestly each job or company differs but I’d also say if you’re unhappy I wouldn’t put off moving jobs for ttc because you never know how long it will actually take

RosieEffect Sun 10-Mar-19 08:46:15

For Statutory Mat Pay (the bare government minimum) it is 6 weeks 90% pay, then a set rate for up to 9 months (I think it's about £145/week). Then nothing for 3 months, but guaranteed job back if you take a whole year.

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
To qualify for SMP you must:
•earn on average at least £116 a week
•give the correct noticee_
•give proof you’re pregnantt_
•have worked for your employer continuouslyy_ for at least 26 weeks continuing into the ‘qualifying week’ - the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth

RosieEffect Sun 10-Mar-19 08:47:07

If your employer offers more than statutory mat pay the. They can determine the conditions and will likely be longer.

Hiphopopotamous Sun 10-Mar-19 08:58:35

Can you negotiate for better mat pay? It will be cheaper for your company than paying a recruitment agency to replace you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in