I can’t nurse anymore

(35 Posts)
JEB0206 Sat 09-Mar-19 18:18:04

I’m a nurse of 25 years. I’m broken, stressed and have no confidence. I’ve had various posts over the years and been in my current one less than a year. I’m frightened of handing my notice in to find a totally new job out of nursing. But I’m equally a mess going to work. I know I can’t do this for much longer, it’s impacting my whole life. I don’t know what to do.

OP’s posts: |
Sonicknuckles Sat 09-Mar-19 18:21:49

You poor thing. I'm sorry you feel that way but thank you for all the work you do for us.

eyeczawikaivov Sat 09-Mar-19 18:25:24

I know nothing about nursing but you have my every sympathy, it must be grueling.

There's a related thread here that has some interesting suggestions.

8FencingWire Sat 09-Mar-19 18:36:03

Hugs. brew

It is bad, isn’t it?
Is going part time for a while an option for you?

Usuallyinthemiddle Sat 09-Mar-19 18:37:38

A friend of mine has started lecturing a nursing degree. She's loving it. And visibly happier!

DownstairsMixUp Sat 09-Mar-19 18:37:39

Is there something else you could do in nursing like practice nursing less stressful? Feel for you, I did two years of adult nursing and gave up. I wouldn't do it, thank you for the work you do x

Babyroobs Sat 09-Mar-19 23:10:13

I know how you feel. A couple of years ago I was in the same situation and was at rock bottom after 28 years of Nursing. I was in an awful situation at work, feeling sick about each shift I had to go in for, my anxiety was at an all time high. Eventually something snapped after one particularly horrendous night shift and I it was a light bulb moment when I just knew it could not continue. I have retrained in a different career and whilst I did initially take a pay drop I am now almost back up to a similar level of pay. I am preparing to let my registration lapse completely later this year. I know I never want to return to it. I worked with a lot of people who were scared to leave because of money or because they had never done anything different but it can be done.

JEB0206 Sat 09-Mar-19 23:46:52

Thanks everyone, sadness is I already work part time!!
I’m so disallusioned with all of it. I can’t imagine what else I’d do, I love my patient contact and have thought of dropping my pin and becoming a Carer or CSW/HCA. Babyroobs can I ask what you retrained to do?

Sonicknuckles Sun 10-Mar-19 08:23:19

Babyroobs what do you do now?

cptartapp Sun 10-Mar-19 08:39:20

After 25 years I went into practice nursing. Monday to Friday, no bank holidays, set negotiable hours and no heavy lifting etc. Stressful in it's own way as clinics are full day after day and patients' expectations are ridiculous, but after completing relevant courses over the years to fulfill all aspects of the role it's the best move I ever made. I believe 1/4 practice nurses are due to retire in the next ten years (myself included!). Maybe this is something to consider.

wigglypiggly Mon 11-Mar-19 06:24:09

I retired early age 58 after 25 years in acute medicine. I loved my job but got burnt out. If you're unhappy and stressed it's no good for anyone. Have just seen it from the other side, maximum of 5 pretty low dependency surgical patients, 2 nurses each shift, plus HCA on nights and weekends. Some were really kind and caring, others just couldn't be bothered, the inconsistency in hands-off care, compassion, communication and knowledge was really upsetting. Patients and family sense when staff are unhappy and they are the ones who also suffer, holistic care it ain't.If I was to go back I'd apply for an HCA job or counselling type to,e to keep up my patient contact .

Pieandpeas3 Mon 11-Mar-19 07:21:12

OP I feel exactly the same. I only work part time too but it still impacts my life negatively. I feel sick at the thought of going to work this week and it's negatively impacting on my family too. It's so stressful. I am going to hand my notice in and become a support worker (I work in mental health now). This will be a big pay cut that we could really do without but my health and mental state are important to me.
I have known nurses go into occupational health, disability assessment or become CCG nurses dealing with funding etc but none of this appeals to me. I also love patient contact.

Shookethtothecore Mon 11-Mar-19 07:23:14

I know a nurse who went part time and set up her own Botox clinic. Not for everyone I realise but she’s earning a nice wedge from it

30under Mon 11-Mar-19 07:25:59

flowers I am sorry you feel this way. You have given a lot to nursing. Have you been to see occupational health? They may be able to help suggest a nursing-related move.

Decormad38 Mon 11-Mar-19 07:27:46

Before giving up your registration think about other nursing careers. Nurse lecturer (me), practice nursing, additional course ( health visiting, district nursing), practice nursing? If you work in an acute area and have done for that length of time it’s no wonder you are burned out. Nurses should be advised not to do this I feel!

Pippioddstocking Mon 11-Mar-19 07:29:54

As a few others have suggested , would you consider practice nursing ? It really is the best of both worlds , better working hours , no nights or weekends , one patient at a time , lunch breaks . You get to build relationships with your patients as you see the same ones each year for chronic disease checks . I love giving baby their vaccines , doing Mum's smear , counselling older teenage daughter on first contraception dressing Grannys leg ulcers , home visit on Ethel next door who can't get to the surgery and Doris at number 32 is worried about her . You become part of the community , I love it , best job in the world .

Pieandpeas3 Mon 11-Mar-19 07:32:11

I don't drive so this limits me as I think the health visiting etc would require driving. I am a mental health nurse so can't do practice/district nursing. I don't want to be a lecturer as I hate public speaking! I think I have no other option but to give up nursing.
OP I hope you find a way out soon, it's awful feeling this way

JEB0206 Mon 11-Mar-19 08:24:41

ThNks everyone. I’ll bear all your wonderful advise in mind. Working through things right now and will see where it takes me.

HoraceCope Mon 11-Mar-19 08:29:02

Would you consider hospice nursing op? Rewarding

Chocolatedeficitdisorder Mon 11-Mar-19 21:40:48

Before I gave up my PIN, I worked for a few years in an FE college teaching care skills. It can often be part time and you work independently. I enjoyed it.

fizzandchips Mon 11-Mar-19 21:53:15

School nurse in an Independent boarding school?
Saw one advertised recently. Great hours and rates of pay.

ScarletBitch Mon 11-Mar-19 21:54:43

Hi OP, I have been nursing since 1995, I feel your pain. Have you thought about Community or School Nursing?

Pieandpeas3 Tue 12-Mar-19 06:11:50

community nursing is still stressful, ongoing caseloads, not much team working, risks of lone working, targets to achieve....

ittooshallpass Tue 12-Mar-19 06:28:36

Have you thought about working in private care homes? You build a relationship with those you care for and their families. Pay is good, often with opportunities to earn more through bonuses and access to benefits packages. Mental health nurses are also needed as many homes have a dementia floor.

HoraceCope Tue 12-Mar-19 09:28:07

I gave blood yesterday and the nurse said they were so busy, it was her life

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in