NHS apprenticeship and pregnancy

(9 Posts)
sunshinedaisy248 Sat 02-Mar-19 15:58:07

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what would happen if you were to get pregnant on a fixed term NHS apprenticeship. It's for 15 months but there is a guaranteed position at the end as long as you aren't a bad employee. I have had to come off of contraception for medical reasons so only using condoms (TMI) so want to cover my bases in case anything happens. I want to know my rights if I found myself in this position.

Anyone else been in this position? How were your employers when you told them?

TIA smile

OP’s posts: |
Tomtontom Sat 02-Mar-19 17:02:49

If you're on a fixed term contract then it's unlikely that a permanent job is contractually guaranteed at the end of it.

There are various non hormonal contraceptives available if hormonal ones are not available to you?

Tomtontom Sat 02-Mar-19 17:08:27

Thought I recognised the name. When you've started several threads about actively trying to conceive, it's disingenuous to then post a blatant lie. Probably best not to apply the same attitude in the workplace.

Decormad38 Sat 02-Mar-19 17:11:54

Have you not got a contract that states what happens. What programme of study does the apprenticeship consist of?

sunshinedaisy248 Sat 02-Mar-19 17:14:01

@Tomtontom I have never stated in any post that I am 'actively' trying to get conceive. It's something me and my partner have discussed as something we would like to happen by the end of the year. However I don't feel like I need to explain that to you, a stranger. I am asking for advice on a particular matter, if you don't agree then don't comment. smile

Tomtontom Sat 02-Mar-19 17:19:12

Yes, you have, on several threads. If you're not actively trying then see your GP to discuss your other options. If you're not actively trying then don't throw away an apprenticeship that will set you up for life, for the sake of not taking precautions!

And I've answered your question, if you're on a fixed term contract you are not guaranteed a permanent position afterwards. Your rights finish at the contractual end date.

sunshinedaisy248 Sat 02-Mar-19 17:22:12

@Tomtontom thank you for answering my question smile

ComeMonday Sat 02-Mar-19 18:54:18

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/3517994-ttc-anyone-else-out-there

Lazypuppy Sat 02-Mar-19 19:51:41

If you don't want to get pregnant don't have sex. Simple.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in