Talk

Advanced search

Had letter today that work wont be paying me when im in hospital with ds?!

(10 Posts)
brandy7 Sat 07-Jul-07 08:53:59

morning all

going into great ormond street hospital with my toddler for a week stay on monday then continued hormone treatment for a further 2/3 weeks when we come out.

i work in a secondary school as a TA, have been there 8 years, i only work 8 hours a week cause of the little man being poorly a lot. I informed work and gave them the relevant medical/admission letters and just had a letter today that they authorise the absence but it will be unpaid.

too be honest, im quite pissed off, i only get £237 a month which now will be about £70, so will miss it hugely. i do get a top up with IS, perhaps if i tell them they will top me up more the weeks work arent paying???

of course, this could be totally normal procedure?

really dont need this worry , and as im going in with him monday i cant do anything from the hospital.agggghhhhhhh

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 07-Jul-07 08:57:38

This sounds quite normal to me. Sick pay is only payable when you are sick.

Hope the treatment goes well.

Oblomov Sat 07-Jul-07 08:58:08

Nice. Letter , right before the monday, really helpful. Big hug.

brandy7 Sat 07-Jul-07 09:01:56

oh so it is normal, thankyou.

yea the timing isnt great is it

so do you think IS will top up what im losing?

letsgo Sat 07-Jul-07 09:06:09

Hi

It is normal to only get paid when you are off sick. You could of course visit your doctor and ask them to sign you off with stress (obviously only if you are feeling stressed with it all as I'm sure you are)

Not sure about the situation with IS.

Are you able to take annual leave? Or can this only be taken out of term time?

brandy7 Sat 07-Jul-07 09:09:12

i only work term time letsgo

letsgo Sat 07-Jul-07 09:23:50

Oh right. well I do think it's normal procedure which doesn't help you much does it?
Definately find out about the IS or you have the sickness option (which I know isn't great but just trying to think of something that will help)

Hope all goes well at the hospital

brandy7 Sat 07-Jul-07 09:28:52

thanks letsgo, il get mum to ring IS next week, shes staying here with my eldest

chocolatekimmy Sun 08-Jul-07 22:03:10

I would do the same for an employee in similar circumstances. Always give the time off but not often I would pay it. The sick pay scheme is about the employee.

I think the main thing is that the time of has been authorised - you need to be with your child

violeta Mon 09-Jul-07 17:04:11

I would have thought that this would be covered by compassionate leave, to be honest. It all depends on who you work for, but I would have thought a school would have this policy. Normally, you can take 5 (?) days of compassionate leave in a year, which would be paid. Any time on top of this would be unpaid but I would imagine you should at least have some of this time paid. Compassionate leave is designed for time you have to take off work to care for an immediate family member, whether it be parent, sibling or child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now