Job hunting but time off for work related stress

(3 Posts)
FrostedSnowdrops Fri 01-Mar-19 09:40:43

Long story short, my manager is a bully. He threatens people to get them to do as he wants. I've been to HR but no one else has.

I am job hunting, but I have OCD which was under control but has spiralled since I've been in this job. As a result, I don't want to do a knee jerk reaction and go for any job when it might be a bad decision longer term, I think that could be even worse for my mental health.

Sadly, manager's behaviour is continuing to deteriorate and I am struggling to cope. I don't know if time off would help, my GP thinks work might take it all more seriously if I'm signed off with work related stress. I just worry that if I take some time out, it might have negative consequences when I come to apply for other jobs.

Does anyone know how work related stress is viewed? I feel like people would think I can't cope with normal life and wouldn't want to employ me sad

OP’s posts: |
ReaganSomerset Fri 01-Mar-19 13:31:08

I wouldn't go off with stress, no. Better temp in the interim until you know what your next move is.

Crazycrazylady Mon 04-Mar-19 12:56:13

Perfectly legal to go off but I'm afraid in my industry it's definitely counted against you for promotion prospects etc. Loads of people here will probably disagree but If you could hold off until you find something new then I would especially if you are determined to leave the company anyway.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in