Emergency tax?

(4 Posts)
Wellybobs2 Thu 28-Feb-19 21:11:59

In August I started a part time job after taking a year out when I had DS. It’s a new business and the first few months we were paid cash in hand which was fine as they were learning the ropes. We are now paid properly into our bank and get a wage slip (when they remember to give us it, which is usually weeks late) I’ve been put on emergency tax and I’ve rang HMRC twice, told my employer several times my new tax code and given them a copy of the letter that has my code on yet it still isn’t getting changed and I’m getting frustrated. £20-£30 doesn’t sound a lot but it’s a top up shop for us or a weeks petrol! What can I do and where do I stand? Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
SileneOliveira Fri 01-Mar-19 07:46:02

Speak to HMRC. But your employer sounds incredibly dodgy. Good employers do not operate like this, even when they're just setting up their business.

Wellybobs2 Fri 01-Mar-19 08:57:19

I’ve rung HMRC twice since December and they say they have done all they can from their side by changing my tax code and now it’s up to them to give it to their payroll. It’s 2 mins from my mums house so ideal for me to drop off DS and the job itself I like but this is just starting to get frustrating :-(

OP’s posts: |
Highlandspring1991 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:34:45

I work in payroll. It’s up to HMRC to notify your employer of your new tax code. They cannot use the letter as it wouldn’t have your year to date figures on.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in