Talk

Advanced search

When a job doesn't ever get back to you...

(17 Posts)
SummerIsNearer Mon 25-Feb-19 14:12:19

I just don't understand sad

I did fabulously at interview and the panel seemed really impressed with me.

The interview was last Tuesday, they said they were getting in touch on Monday.

I know they close at 2.30pm on a Monday. So it's almost time up. And no phone call.

I'm really disappointed. I would love to work there and think it's a brilliant job for me, and, I think I have a lot to offer the role.

You cannot call them directly due to confidentiality issues (they call on a withheld number). You can call their separate recruitment team office, and I have, to which they replied it would have to be the interview panel that give me a response. But, the lady I spoke to said she would email them to say I'd been in touch and would like an update.

Has anyone else been through this awful waiting time? I just want to know.

OP’s posts: |
StealthPolarBear Mon 25-Feb-19 14:13:27

Ime it's normal for them not to call when they say they will

Tomtontom Mon 25-Feb-19 14:15:09

They said they'd call today, it's too early to be calling them for updates.

They may have been sidetracked, they may still be deciding. You need to chill out.

Lumene Mon 25-Feb-19 14:20:09

Could be waiting on someone who is part of the decision making process, could have called someone and waiting to see their response, may call today still, may just be behind.

JenniferJareau Mon 25-Feb-19 14:20:27

Yes, it's awful but also things happen to delay timetables recruiters gets sick, a candidate gets sick and reschedules their interview.

Good luck flowers

SummerIsNearer Mon 25-Feb-19 14:28:51

The thing is, I know who was before me - just two other candidates on the same day. I saw them sign the visitor book when I came to sign in for interview, and thought they might've been there for the interview. I was correct since the interview panel lady mentioned two others had been today but that was it, I was the last one.

Of course it's very possibly someone or both were better than me. I understand that. I just wish I knew either way.

I was a little surprised when she said she was getting back to everyone on Monday. Almost a week since interview. There were only 3 potential new staff members. The person she was deciding with was there, and that person said they were deciding after my interview.

sackrifice Mon 25-Feb-19 14:31:39

I was a little surprised when she said she was getting back to everyone on Monday. Almost a week since interview. There were only 3 potential new staff members. The person she was deciding with was there, and that person said they were deciding after my interview.

Gordon Bennett; the interview may not be the only thing on their minds.

Chill the fuck down.

Crimebustersofthesea Mon 25-Feb-19 14:32:08

I waited three weeks recently. They originally said end of the following week but I heard nothing and assumed I hadn't got it. A week and a half later they called to offer. Apparently they'd decided to appoint two people and had to get it all signed off. I'm starting in 4 weeks smile (and handing in my notice at work was a very pleasant experience)

ShirleyPhallus Mon 25-Feb-19 14:32:12

FWIW, I interview and recruit people regularly and it is very very normal for something to come up - someone higher up wants something different / we see loads of candidates but don’t have time to discuss them / someone goes off sick / manager signing off the role is on holiday etc.

Drives me crackers when HR give an exact time that the candidate will hear back. Sorry to be blunt but while this is the most important thing for you at the moment, it’s probably about 25th down the list for the interviewer.

Just be patient. You will hear back. Good luck!

unfortunateevents Mon 25-Feb-19 15:29:17

You do seriously need to relax about this - and your title is misleading - a job that doesn't EVER get back to you?? - they are currently a couple of hours behind the time by which they told you they would respond!

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Mon 25-Feb-19 15:32:24

I waited 5 months! I had lost hope id got it then they rang.This was at an academy school and the delay was funding related.

Twickerhun Mon 25-Feb-19 15:32:34

I had this recently. Waiting is so hard it took an extra 48 hours for them to get back to me than they said, I was so impatient. Good luck and try to relax, you’ve done your best, now you can’t do anymore.

SuziQ10 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:18:30

They won't tell you if you were unsuccessful until they have had confirmation from the successful candidate that they are accepting the role.
The person may wish to think it over for a few days / negotiate terms.

Doyoumind Mon 25-Feb-19 16:23:43

IME you rarely here when they say you will. Also, they can't let everyone know the result at the same time anyway. If the job is offered to someone, unsuccessful candidates may not be informed until the offer is accepted officially.

daisychain01 Mon 25-Feb-19 19:47:46

OP I'd take the "we'll get back to you by Monday" comment with a big pinch of salt, for this or any other role you apply for.

There's no way of knowing what may have happened. The person may be off sick or their cat died at the weekend and they've taken the day off. Don't read into it negatively, no point in second guessing.

One thing you can be sure of, if they don't think you're right for the job, even if you do, the best thing they can say is "sorry you haven't been successful on this occasion". Something better always comes up, I can guarantee that it won't mean the end of the world, even if the 'rejection' feels awful at the time.

SummerIsNearer Mon 25-Feb-19 20:43:07

Thank you all for the comments thanks

I got a call later on in the working day. I've been invited for an hour to come in and try out what the job actually entails, as some people find they don't like what they actually have to deal with once the job hits. It's between me and someone else, but I've been told I'm the favourite due to my admin skill set grin I've been told I should know the outcome of the day on the day itself.

I couldn't do the proposed date, so it's been changed for me. I asked wouldn't this impact the other candidate, and I was told no, as the date for them would be changed too!

Unfortunately, this means it's over 2 weeks away now because the right people aren't unavailable again until then.

JenniferJareau Tue 26-Feb-19 06:51:38

That's really good progress, well done OP!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in